From: "Peter A. Castro" <doctor@fruitbat.org>
Subject: Re: setup release candidate - please test
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 19:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 8 May 2017, Jon Turney wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 12:06:31 +0100
> From: Jon Turney
> Subject: setup release candidate - please test

Greetings, Jon,

> A setup release candidate is available at:
>
>  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe

Huzzah!!

Got some questions below:

> Since this changes the way we download files, I think this can use some wider
> testing before release.
>
> Please test and give feedback to cygwin@cygwin.com. If no regressions are
> discovered in the next few days, it will be promoted to release.
>

> Changes compared to 2.877:
>
> - "Direct Connection" now uses the WinINet API to fetch URLs.
>
> This enables HTTPS and FTPS protocol support, and caching of mirrors.lst and
> setup.ini.
>
> The existing, hand-built URL fetching, which only supports HTTP and FTP, is
> still available by choosing "Direct (legacy)".
>
> - Fixes to "Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings" mode
>
> Progress is now reported for downloads.
>
> Unwanted caching in "Temporary Internet Files" of package archives has been
> fixed.
> (Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00403.html)
>
> A bug causing a long delay before downloading setup.ini from package
> repositories without a compressed setup.ini has been fixed.
>
> - Add --allow-unsupported-windows option
> Don't check the windows version.

Huzzah!!  Thanks for this!!

> The Cygwin mirror list is not read, so a URL (e.g. a Cygwin time machine
> circa) should be given with --site or via the GUI.
>
> - Remove support for some long-obsolete setup.ini syntax (omitted version:,
> omitted size and checksum, various undocumented tokens)

Can you tell me what Setup will do if it encounters one of these
"obsolete" setup.ini?  Throw an error?  Ignore the omission (how?)?
Ignore the entire package entry??  Allow the user to continue anyway?

I'm thinking that I may need to go update some of the older circa to
"conform" to the new normal (if possible...some circa of setup.ini were
terribly broken and never really worked to begin with!) so customers can
use the latest Setup with the Time Machine.

Thanks for all the great work, btw!

> - Remove cruft
>
> --

--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com