* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-5.1p1-6 (-7)
@ 2008-11-07 11:04 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-11-07 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've just updated the version of OpenSSH to 5.1p1-6.

This is a bugfix release which fixes a bug in the ssh-host-config script
which stumbles over user names with a substring of "ssh" in them and
thinks that ssh processes are still running.

There's an equivalent new 5.1p1-7 release for Cygwin 1.7 testers.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

Red Hat

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-5.1p1-6 (-7)
@ 2008-11-08 15:12 ` Herb Maeder
From: Herb Maeder @ 2008-11-08 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07 Nov 2008 17:10:02 EST, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 01:37:44PM -0800, Herb Maeder wrote:
> >On 07 Nov 2008 12:00:56 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> This is a bugfix release which fixes a bug in the ssh-host-config script
> >> which stumbles over user names with a substring of "ssh" in them and
> >> thinks that ssh processes are still running.
> >
> >Is the intent now to catch only processes named 'sshd'?  If so, the
> >current "grep -q 'sshd*$'" may still be a little too loose.  For example,
> >it could match stuff like "/home/user/flosshdd".  Ok, maybe not likely,
> >but still it would cause the script to end in an error.
> >
> >Assuming we can depend on "ps -ef" always printing full path names without
> >any arguments, then "grep -q '/sshd$'" might do the trick.  Is there any
> >reason to catch multiple trailing d's?
>
> It's possible that Corinna was looking for zero or more d's.
>
> So, something like grep -qP '/sshd?' would accommodate that.

Yes, that makes sense.  Zero or one was probably the intent.  Thanks for
pointing it out.

Though the trailing $ probably still makes sense to restrict it to
matching only ssh or sshd processes.  grep -qP '/sshd?$'

Herb.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-5.1p1-6 (-7)
@ 2008-11-07 22:10   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-11-07 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 01:37:44PM -0800, Herb Maeder wrote:
>On 07 Nov 2008 12:00:56 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> This is a bugfix release which fixes a bug in the ssh-host-config script
>> which stumbles over user names with a substring of "ssh" in them and
>> thinks that ssh processes are still running.
>
>Is the intent now to catch only processes named 'sshd'?  If so, the
>current "grep -q 'sshd*$'" may still be a little too loose.  For example,
>it could match stuff like "/home/user/flosshdd".  Ok, maybe not likely,
>but still it would cause the script to end in an error.
>
>Assuming we can depend on "ps -ef" always printing full path names without
>any arguments, then "grep -q '/sshd$'" might do the trick.  Is there any
>reason to catch multiple trailing d's?

It's possible that Corinna was looking for zero or more d's.

So, something like grep -qP '/sshd?' would accommodate that.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-5.1p1-6 (-7)
       [not found] <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
@ 2008-11-07 21:38 ` Herb Maeder
From: Herb Maeder @ 2008-11-07 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07 Nov 2008 12:00:56 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> This is a bugfix release which fixes a bug in the ssh-host-config script
> which stumbles over user names with a substring of "ssh" in them and
> thinks that ssh processes are still running.

Is the intent now to catch only processes named 'sshd'?  If so, the
current "grep -q 'sshd*$'" may still be a little too loose.  For example,
it could match stuff like "/home/user/flosshdd".  Ok, maybe not likely,
but still it would cause the script to end in an error.

Assuming we can depend on "ps -ef" always printing full path names without
any arguments, then "grep -q '/sshd$'" might do the trick.  Is there any
reason to catch multiple trailing d's?

If a more loose matching scheme is really desired, it might be helpful to
print out the matching ps lines before generating the error (just so
that it's more obvious to the user as to what is going on).

Sorry if this is too nit-picky.  I just happened to notice it when I was
looking at other stuff.

Herb.

@ 2008-11-07 21:17 ` Herb Maeder
From: Herb Maeder @ 2008-11-07 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07 Nov 2008 12:00:56 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> This is a bugfix release which fixes a bug in the ssh-host-config script
> which stumbles over user names with a substring of "ssh" in them and
> thinks that ssh processes are still running.
>
> There's an equivalent new 5.1p1-7 release for Cygwin 1.7 testers.

It looks like there may be a problem with the ssh-host-config in the
5.1p1-7 release.  It now uses "mount -t", but the -t option is no longer
valid in the 1.7 version of mount.

  % ssh-host-config
  *** Info: Creating default /etc/ssh_config file
  *** Info: Creating default /etc/sshd_config file
  *** Info: Privilege separation is set to yes by default since OpenSSH 3.3.
  *** Info: However, this requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
  *** Info: For more info on privilege separation read /usr/share/doc/openssh/README.privsep.
  *** Query: Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes
  *** Info: Updating /etc/sshd_config file
  mount: unknown option -- t
  Usage: mount [OPTION] [<win32path> <posixpath>]
  Display information about mounted filesystems, or mount a filesystem

    -c, --change-cygdrive-prefix change the cygdrive path prefix to <posixpath>
    -f, --force force mount, don't warn about missing mount
                                  point directories
    -h, --help                    output usage information and exit
    -m, --mount-entries write fstab entries to replicate mount points
                                  and cygdrive prefixes
    -o, --options X[,X...]        specify mount options
    -p, --show-cygdrive-prefix show user and/or system cygdrive path prefix
    -v, --version                 output version information and exit

  Valid options are:

    binary,text,exec,notexec,cygexec,nosuid,acl,noacl,posix=1,posix=0

  grep: /ssh-host-config.2052/services: No such file or directory
  grep: /ssh-host-config.2052/services: No such file or directory
  /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 105: /ssh-host-config.2052/services: No such file  or directory
  *** Warning: Adding ssh to C:umount: /ssh-host-config.2052: Invalid argument

  *** Warning: The following functions require administrator privileges!

  *** Query: Do you want to install sshd as a service?

This is on a vista machine with a clean 1.7 install (with openssh-5.1p1-7
installed from a local mirror since the public mirrors are broken right now).

Switching it back to "mount -o text" seems to work (I'm not sure if that
should be made conditional on 1.7 though).

Herb.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-5.1p1-6 (-7)
@ 2008-11-07 18:36   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-11-07 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:51:24AM -0800, Herb Maeder wrote:
>On 07 Nov 2008 12:00:56 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> I've just updated the version of OpenSSH to 5.1p1-6.
>>
>> This is a bugfix release which fixes a bug in the ssh-host-config script
>> which stumbles over user names with a substring of "ssh" in them and
>> thinks that ssh processes are still running.
>>
>> There's an equivalent new 5.1p1-7 release for Cygwin 1.7 testers.
>
>It seems that setup-2.ini on the mirrors is actually pointing to 5.1p1-6,
>which does not exist in release-2.
>
>It looks like the modification time of the tarball is 3 minutes after
>setup-2.ini, so perhaps setup-2.ini just needs to be regenerated.

There have been some problems regenerating setup-2.ini today.  I'm waiting
for some package maintainers to fill me in on what's going on with their
packages so that we can fix the problem.

cgf

@ 2008-11-07 17:52 ` Herb Maeder
From: Herb Maeder @ 2008-11-07 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin