* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.5-4
@ 2008-05-02  1:59 cygwin
From: cygwin @ 2008-05-02  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've updated inetutils to version 1.5-4. Because 1.5-3 was only recently
released, and itself represented a major change from the previous
1.3.2-40 version, I encourage you to read also this information:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-04/msg00043.html

Changes since 1.5-3
=============================
* no longer requires custom cygport
* fixed bug in ftpd that prevented large file transfers
   with recent 1.5.x cygwin kernels. Reported by antony baxter.
   (worked around by disabling MMAP and limiting buffer sizes
   to 4k).
* fixed info file's index and internal navigation menus.
   Reported by Rodrigo Medina.
* ftp client uses readline (links statically)

--
Chuck

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at the above URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.5-4
@ 2008-05-15 21:07 ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-05-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    > I've updated inetutils to version 1.5-4. Because 1.5-3 was only
    > recently released, and itself represented a major change from the
    > previous 1.3.2-40 version, I encourage you to read also this
    > information:
    > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-04/msg00043.html

rsh user@host command

 and

rcp ...

work fine under inetd but when running under xinetd both just return
with returncode 1.

rsh user@host, telnet, ftp and talk work just fine now under both inetd
and xinetd.

Ciao
  Volker

* Cygwin = cross platform (one way)?
@ 2008-05-15 21:58   ` Longyu Mei
From: Longyu Mei @ 2008-05-15 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I don't know if this question should be asked here or
not.

I have a small socket server application running on
Linux. It uses Unix socket libraries and also do some
file operations. I am wondering if I can compile it
with Cygwin without any changes on my code?

If yes, that means Cygwin is kind of tool to make an
application being cross platform from Linux to
Windows? So it cam replace ACE and Boost for those
start from Linux?

Please just send your comments to me if any if this
question should not be posted here.

thanks,

James

* Re: Cygwin = cross platform (one way)?
@ 2008-05-15 22:14     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-05-15 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Longyu Mei wrote:
> I don't know if this question should be asked here or
> not.
>
> I have a small socket server application running on
> Linux. It uses Unix socket libraries and also do some
> file operations. I am wondering if I can compile it
> with Cygwin without any changes on my code?
>
> If yes, that means Cygwin is kind of tool to make an
> application being cross platform from Linux to
> Windows? So it cam replace ACE and Boost for those
> start from Linux?
>
> Please just send your comments to me if any if this
> question should not be posted here.

It's fair to ask this question here but it is frowned
upon to do so by replying to a message in another thread
and changing the subject.  Please don't do this.

I think the answer to your general inquiry is:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.what>

Whether Cygwin makes your particular port possible without
any code changes is something you'll need to determine
for yourself though.

Holliston, MA 01746