* Version handling
@ 2000-04-18 18:04 bob
From: bob @ 2000-04-18 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It figures, I just ordered the Cygwin CD 1.0, Now the Net Release 1.1.0 is out. How should I handle these two version?

o Should I remove the Net Release and install the 1.0 only?

o Should I check individual versions on everything and selectively update things?

And how will future CD versions (1.<even number>.x) be distributed?

* Re: Version handling
@ 2000-04-18 18:10 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-04-18 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bthiele; +Cc: cygwin

> o Should I remove the Net Release and install the 1.0 only?

It depends on why you got the CD, and why you got the net release.
Some things just aren't "newer" in the net release, they're
*different*.  For example, gcc on the CD is a custom Cygnus version
(the GNUPro pentium-optimized version), but the net release has just
the generic 2.95.* (which has more features).

Personally, I wouldn't recommend casually mixing them.  One of the
strengths of the CD is that everything was tested together.  If you
start mixing in parts of other releases, you make all that testing
meaningless.

> And how will future CD versions (1.<even number>.x) be distributed?

We'll probably figure that out when 1.2 comes out ;-)

* Re: Version handling
@ 2000-04-18 18:24 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-18 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 07:04:00PM -0600, bob wrote:
>It figures, I just ordered the Cygwin CD 1.0, Now the Net Release
>1.1.0 is out. How should I handle these two version?
>
>o Should I remove the Net Release and install the 1.0 only?
>
>o Should I check individual versions on everything and selectively
>update things?
>
>And how will future CD versions (1.<even number>.x) be distributed?

The next CD version will be 1.2.0.  We don't have plans for when this
will be yet.  Even versions are supposed to be tested and stable.  Odd
versions are works in progress (i.e., untested and unstable).

Unless you're having a specific problem, there is no need to "upgrade"
to the net release.  Many individual components of the net release,
like "bash", actually come from the CD.

FYI, we're working on a way to get upgrades to the CD customers but
we don't have anything concrete yet.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company

* Re: Version handling
@ 2000-04-18 19:10   ` bob
From: bob @ 2000-04-18 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks.  But you know, If I went by 'upgrade if you have a problem', I'd still be on B18 :>

>On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 07:04:00PM -0600, bob wrote:
>>It figures, I just ordered the Cygwin CD 1.0, Now the Net Release
>>1.1.0 is out. How should I handle these two version?
>>
>>o Should I remove the Net Release and install the 1.0 only?
>>
>>o Should I check individual versions on everything and selectively
>>update things?
>>
>>And how will future CD versions (1.<even number>.x) be distributed?
>
>The next CD version will be 1.2.0.  We don't have plans for when this
>will be yet.  Even versions are supposed to be tested and stable.
>Odd
>versions are works in progress (i.e., untested and unstable).
>
>Unless you're having a specific problem, there is no need to
>"upgrade"
>to the net release.  Many individual components of the net release,
>like "bash", actually come from the CD.
>
>FYI, we're working on a way to get upgrades to the CD customers but
>we don't have anything concrete yet.
>
>Christopher Faylor
>Cygwin Engineering Manager
>Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company
>
>--

* Re: Version handling
@ 2000-04-19  5:15 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-19  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob, cygwin

--- bob <bthiele@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> It figures, I just ordered the Cygwin CD 1.0, Now the Net Release
> 1.1.0 is out. How should I handle these two version?

How do you want to handle the two versions?

> o Should I remove the Net Release and install the 1.0 only?
>
> o Should I check individual versions on everything and selectively
> update things?

Assuming enough disk space you could use both in full and mix 'n' match.

d:/Cygwin/CD/
d:/Cygwin/Net/
d:/Cygwin/Combo/

In the cygwin.bat file for each of these you'll add a line to change the root /
to point to the correct directory for that set and add a shortcut to the
desktop for each cygwin.bat.

E.G.: mount -b -f d:/Cygwin/CD /
      mount -b -f d:/Cygwin/Net /
      mount -b -f d:/Cygwin/Combo /

The downside of this is that you can only use a single set at a time.  Once the
mount takes place it happens for the children of the current session as well.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: Version handling
@ 2000-04-18 22:42 Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 2000-04-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry, my mistake. Some time ago, I had automated the installation of new
snapshots, and I was thinking that the old 'H-i586-cygwin32' was part of the
directory structure in the snapshots. Upon looking back, I see it's not.

I said this privately in a response to DJ and I'll say it again here publicly:
Thanks for all the work you all put in getting this product out the door. I
don't think that's said often enough.

Rick
--
Rick Rankin
rick_rankin@yahoo.com

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 07:14:53PM -0700, Rick Rankin wrote:
> >Will the directory structure used in the snapshots ever become the same
> >as the one used in the net/cd releases?
>
> The snapshots are the same as the net release right now.  DJ used a
> snapshot to build the cygwin DLL part of the net relese.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: Version handling
@ 2000-04-18 19:50 ` Chris Faylor