* How to get setup to *re*install a package from the command line
@ 2022-09-08  2:54 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-09-08  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwiners -

I've not been able to find a way to get setup, when used from the command
line, to *re*install an existing package, so as to repair any brokenness.

For context, I had my disk get trashed and restored from a cloud backup.
However, that tool is not entirely competent about everything, e.g., links.
Most programs work ok, but others clearly are not quite right.  So I want to
try re-installing all installed packages.  But there does not seem to be any
way to get command line setup to Reinstall something that is already
installed, though the GUI tool can certainly do it.

I have used cygcheck to get a list of the installed packages and want to do
this in a giant batch.  I have a lot of packages installed (though not the
entire universe!) so using the GUI to select things one at a time would be
very tedious.

Is the only alternative to do one run uninstalling all the packages, and then
another installing them?

Regards - Eliot

* Re: How to get setup to *re*install a package from the command line
@ 2022-09-08  5:28 ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2022-09-08  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss writes:
> I've not been able to find a way to get setup, when used from the command
> line, to *re*install an existing package, so as to repair any brokenness.

If it's not been broken in the years that passed by since I implemented
it initially, telling setup to both remove and install a package (or
group) will do this.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: How to get setup to *re*install a package from the command line
@ 2022-09-08  6:00 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2022-09-08  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss, cygwin

Eliot Moss wrote:
> I've not been able to find a way to get setup, when used from the command
> line, to *re*install an existing package, so as to repair any brokenness.
>
> For context, I had my disk get trashed and restored from a cloud backup.
> However, that tool is not entirely competent about everything, e.g.,
> links.

Often such backup tools cannot handle reparse points, so for the future
you might want to set CYGWIN=winsymlinks:lnk or ...:sys. The latter
requires that the tool handles SYSTEM files properly.

Another problem might occur if incremental backups are used: If a DLL is
rebased, the write timestamp does not change because memory mapped files
are used. Then there is (AFAIK) no way to detect file modification
except comparing its data with previous backup. A full rebase after
restore should help then.

> Most programs work ok, but others clearly are not quite right.  So I
> want to
> try re-installing all installed packages.  But there does not seem to
> be any
> way to get command line setup to Reinstall something that is already
> installed, though the GUI tool can certainly do it.

If data in /etc/setup is still intact, a quick way with the GUI should
be run to the recent 2.921 RC release of setup, select the "Up To Date"
view and then press and hold Ctrl+R.
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2022-August/252146.html

--
Regards,
Christian

* Re: How to get setup to *re*install a package from the command line
@ 2022-09-08 14:31   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2022-09-08 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Franke, cygwin

On 9/8/2022 2:00 AM, Christian Franke wrote:
> Eliot Moss wrote:

> If data in /etc/setup is still intact, a quick way with the GUI should be run to the recent 2.921 RC
> release of setup, select the "Up To Date" view and then press and hold Ctrl+R.
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2022-August/252146.html

This was very helpful and was able to re-install everything.
inetutils-server balked at how the permission on /var were set,
but once I corrected those, it also finished installing.

Thank you!

Now we'll see if a re-install fixed my issues :-) ...  EM