From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Windows 10 updates causes fork retry no child processes
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 17:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2016-11-03 07:46, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 11/3/2016 9:42 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> We are only seeing this on the newer W10 machines.
>> W8 machines don't exhibit this problem.
>> And both have the exact same set of software installed on them.
>> So there must be something different about W10.
> Windows 10 is definitely aggressive about forcing reboots
> after updates.  I've not yet found an effective way to
> turn it off so that I can do it at a more convenient
> future time.

Some control is possible with Settings/Updates & Security/
Windows Update/Active hours.
Only allows contiguous 12 within 24 hours (no wraparound
across midnight) for people who waste the night sleeping ;^>
Setting this seems to defer restarts up to a week.
On W10 Pro, you can choose 16?/18? hours apparently.

It also features terrible graphics hours and minutes "spinner"
like old mechanical rotary clocks and calendars - ugh ;^p
*Might* be acceptable on some school kid's project, but most of
them have more design sense, standards, and taste, than MicroSoft.
Would be nice to shrink these tabletized wastes of screen real
estate with huge fonts to normal dialogue box forms.