Menu fonts in 'git gui' are too small to be readable (only one or two pixels high). "gitk" works fine. Same result whether I start 'git gui' from the command line or from gitk. I'm running cygwin 32 on windows 7. uname -a shows: CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW myname-LT 2.5.1(0.297/5/3) 2016-04-21 22:12 i686 Cygwin Starting the X server from tcsh as: setenv DISPLAY :0; run xwin -multiwindow (starting the server in foreground so I can see any console messages) After the flurry of messages from X server initialization, there is no output to the console or to /var/log/xwin/Xorg.0.log when starting git gui except one line to the console: OS has icon alpha channel support: yes So far I have tried: Searching mailing list archives google. Lots of google... installing any missing xorg-X11-fonts-* packages re-installing git, git gui, gitk cygcheck.out is attached with usernames redacted. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks and Best Regards, -- Jeff Buckles -- jeff.buckles-cygwin@bookloaf.net -- Aloha, OR, USA