* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
@ 1999-03-07 18:31 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-07 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: treaves, cygwin

treaves@y11a165.neo.rr.com writes:

<< 	When I execute this on my machine, a dual PII 266 with 192 meg memory & a
Seagate Cheeta 10,000rpm hard drive, with three other applications running
(Netscape, mail, a data conversion app), it takes a good 1.5 to 2 seconds to
display a directory with fewer than 60 entries.

 	Is this normal >>

Maybe, under NT.  Not under W95, not even with virus checker running.

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: treaves, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Reaves, cygwin

---Timothy Reaves <treaves@y11a165.neo.rr.com> wrote:

> >>       When I execute this on my machine, a dual PII 266 with 192
meg
> >> memory & a Seagate Cheeta 10,000rpm hard drive, with three other
> >> applications running (Netscape, mail, a data conversion app), it
> >> takes a good 1.5 to 2 seconds to display a directory with fewer
than
> >> 60 entries.
> >>
> >>       Is this normal?
> >
> >Just the first time, or every time?
>
>      For a directory with 83 entries, the first display took 2.5
seconds. After that the time was 'normal'.  Dir under a DOS windows
has no perceptable delay.

If you add the color or F switches then the CYGWIN1.DLL has to
determine the type of file.  It will be opening every regular file
listed and reading a line from the file in order to determine the type
of the file.  You can imagine the overhead involved in this.
==
-                        \\||//

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Timothy Reaves
From: Timothy Reaves @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: treaves; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Oelke, Dan
From: Oelke, Dan @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Timothy Reaves'; +Cc: cygwin users

> >If you add the color or F switches then the CYGWIN1.DLL has to
> >determine the type of file.  It will be opening every regular file
> >listed and reading a line from the file in order to determine the
type
> >of the file.  You can imagine the overhead involved in this.
>
> No, I guess I can't, as bash under unix does not take this long, and
it would have to do the same thing.

Under Unix with a normal unix filesystem, the filesystem stores
attributes about each file.
With FAT filesystem there are no such attributes stored - cygwin has to
figure them out.
In particular, if a file is executable or not has be to guessed at by
reading
the first few characters of the file.  So, cygwin has to open each file
determine this which doesn't happen under unix.

Dan

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
       [not found] ` <199903081826.NAA16303@acestes-fe0.ultra.net>
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Timothy Reaves
From: Timothy Reaves @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found]   ` < 36E40422.157007C1@atos-group.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Sebastien Carpe
From: Sebastien Carpe @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Timothy Reaves wrote:

> >If you add the color or F switches then the CYGWIN1.DLL has to
> >determine the type of file.  It will be opening every regular file
> >listed and reading a line from the file in order to determine the type
> >of the file.  You can imagine the overhead involved in this.
>
> No, I guess I can't, as bash under unix does not take this long, and it would have to do the same thing.

And it does ... but the Unixes file systems stores a lot more informations that
the NTFS does, therefore open less files... On the other side, may be cygwin is
a bit slow at opening files..
On my side, running ls --color=yes on my NT box on a Unix directory through
samba seems to take forever on large directory (well, may be not htat much, but
i'm a pretty impatient guy regarding those things).

* Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
       [not found] ` < 199903080144.UAA10167@y11a165.neo.rr.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Timothy Reaves
From: Timothy Reaves @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Doesn't LS take a lot of time to count the entries in every subdirectory it
encounters (even when it never lists them) just in order to fill out the
stat structures it then throws away?

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
@ 1999-03-31 19:45         ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: hcobb, cygwin

On 08-Mar-1999, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
> At 01:26 PM 3/8/99 -0500, Henry J. Cobb wrote:
> >Doesn't LS take a lot of time to count the entries in every subdirectory it
> >encounters (even when it never lists them) just in order to fill out the
> >stat structures it then throws away?

Yes, I believe so.  Well, it's actually the stat() DLL call that
is taking the time, rather than the code in the `ls' executable itself.

There's no simple way for the stat() DLL call to figure out whether
the caller will use the `st_nlinks' field in the stat struct.
So it has to assume that it will be used.  And implementing Unix
semantics for the st_nlinks field when stat() is called on a directory
requires counting the number of subdirectories in that directory.

I suppose ls could be patched to use something other than stat().

The ideal solution would be to patch the compiler to automatically
figure out whether the caller was using the st_nlinks field, and
if not, to automatically substitute say `__cheap_stat()' instead of
`stat()'.  However, this is not very feasible in a language like C...

WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >  |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
       [not found]     ` < 3.0.5.32.19990308133351.009bb950@pop.ma.ultranet.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb, cygwin

At 01:26 PM 3/8/99 -0500, Henry J. Cobb wrote:
>Doesn't LS take a lot of time to count the entries in every subdirectory it
>encounters (even when it never lists them) just in order to fill out the
>stat structures it then throws away?

Perhaps you can tell us, since you seem to imply that you know something
about the way ls works.  If it does work exactly as you suggest, then I
would say there is cause to be concerned about ls, although that comment
is based solely on yours and my incomplete understanding as to why ls would
do this.  Of course, if ls is doing this, it is outside the realm of
the cygwin DLL, since it only provides services to ls.  In this case, a
patch may need to be made to ls and, quite possibly, for cygwin only.
However, without more information, its hard to pursue the idea that either
ls or cygwin could be patched to make ls faster...

Larry Hall                             lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com

@ 1999-03-08 11:29       ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1999-03-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: hcobb, cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 10:38   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]     ` < 3.0.5.32.19990308133351.009bb950@pop.ma.ultranet.com >
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 1999-03-08 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb, cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 10:26     ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-08 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Doesn't LS take a lot of time to count the entries in every subdirectory it
encounters (even when it never lists them) just in order to fill out the
stat structures it then throws away?

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
@ 1999-03-08  9:09 ` Sebastien Carpe
       [not found]   ` < 36E40422.157007C1@atos-group.com >
                     ` (2 more replies)
       [not found] ` <199903081826.NAA16303@acestes-fe0.ultra.net>
From: Sebastien Carpe @ 1999-03-08  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-08  8:41 Oelke, Dan
From: Oelke, Dan @ 1999-03-08  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Timothy Reaves'; +Cc: cygwin users

> >If you add the color or F switches then the CYGWIN1.DLL has to
> >determine the type of file.  It will be opening every regular file
> >listed and reading a line from the file in order to determine the
type
> >of the file.  You can imagine the overhead involved in this.
>
> No, I guess I can't, as bash under unix does not take this long, and
it would have to do the same thing.

Under Unix with a normal unix filesystem, the filesystem stores
attributes about each file.
With FAT filesystem there are no such attributes stored - cygwin has to
figure them out.
In particular, if a file is executable or not has be to guessed at by
reading
the first few characters of the file.  So, cygwin has to open each file
determine this which doesn't happen under unix.

Dan

* Re: Time taken for ls -la --color=yes
@ 1999-03-08  8:34 Timothy Reaves
                   ` (2 more replies)