On 3/12/19 5:30 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: >> Was that the correct solution? Is that expected? This windows box is >> on a domain, so that might have something to do with it. > > Just switch the account sshd is running under from "cyg_server" to > SYSTEM (or "LocalSystem") and you should be able to logon without the > passwd -R method again. > > This is a side effect of changing how Cygwin switches the user > context by default. See > > https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd1 If I'm reading this correctly, using the SYSTEM account will deny access to user-level shares. Using the cyg_server account (or another service account) will allow access, but requires a password stored in the registry. For me, this is acceptable risk since this is a single user machine and the administrators of the domain already know my domain password :) -- David Dombrowsky, Software Engineer davek@6thstreetradio.org | 518-374-3204 https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-dombrowsky-94334415