* basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-08-26 11:54 Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-08-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Elfyn,

I found a thread from January about these two functions.  Are they
included in the meantime?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-08-29 10:11 ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-08-29 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo Elfyn,
>
> I found a thread from January about these two functions.  Are they
> included in the meantime?

Nope.  I was working on implementing there libgen functions as I had a
need for them in application where they were a) not availabe and b) I
could not use the *BSD/[L]GPL versions.

I believe Nicholas Worums was working (or still is working) on importing
them into newlib, at least that's how I read a post of his on
cygwin-patches, IIRC.

I would do this myself, but I have committed myself to far too much, and
even simple things like this just get left on the back-burner.

-- Elfyn

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-08-29 10:40   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-08-29 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elfyn McBratney

Hello Elfyn,

>> I found a thread from January about these two functions.  Are they
>> included in the meantime?

> Nope.  I was working on implementing there libgen functions as I had a
> need for them in application where they were a) not availabe and b) I
> could not use the *BSD/[L]GPL versions.

Why are the *BSD versions not usable?

> I believe Nicholas Worums was working (or still is working) on importing
> them into newlib, at least that's how I read a post of his on
> cygwin-patches, IIRC.

> I would do this myself, but I have committed myself to far too much, and
> even simple things like this just get left on the back-burner.

No problem, I need also 24 more hours a day;)

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-08-29 13:30     ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-08-29 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hello Elfyn,
>
> >> I found a thread from January about these two functions.  Are they
> >> included in the meantime?
>
> > Nope.  I was working on implementing there libgen functions as I had a
> > need for them in application where they were a) not availabe and b) I
> > could not use the *BSD/[L]GPL versions.
>
> Why are the *BSD versions not usable?

Where I was working at the time, they we're afraid of "free software".  Some
people, eh?

@ 2003-09-01  8:45       ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2003-09-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 12:20:04PM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> Where I was working at the time, they we're afraid of "free software".  Some
> people, eh?
Actually, that kind of fear is probably more common that you thingk: where I
work, people are afraid of free software too, for two reasons: licensing ("Am
I obliged to liberate my software because I use grep in one of the setup
scripts?") and quality assurance ("At least there's a big company behind it
that has the (legal) responsability for the quality of the program..")

The fact that the quality of FSF software such as gcc is often a lot better
than the Microsoft-equivalent (MSVC) doesn't seem to bother them much..

rlc
--
One man's constant is another man's variable.
		-- A.J. Perlis

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-09-02  1:47         ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-09-02  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> ("At least there's a big company behind it
> that has the (legal) responsability for the quality of the program..")

ROTFLMAO.

What legal responsibility? I hope you have pointed these fine folks to
the appropriate sections of the so-called "License Agreements" (i.e. "we
agree that you will accept these terms, or you won't use the program"),
which specifically shirks all responsibility for any and all mayhem
caused by the program..

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-09-02  1:59         ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-09-02  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

But all silliness aside, there's a very good point to the seeming
extremes that the Cygwin project in particular, and the FSF in general,
go in order to protect the code base by ensuring the true freedom of
their sources.

I give you the Linux mess, as exhibit #1.

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-09-02  8:23           ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2003-09-02  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:46:59PM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
> Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>
> > ("At least there's a big company behind it
> > that has the (legal) responsability for the quality of the program..")
>
> ROTFLMAO.
??

> What legal responsibility? I hope you have pointed these fine folks to
> the appropriate sections of the so-called "License Agreements" (i.e. "we
> agree that you will accept these terms, or you won't use the program"),
> which specifically shirks all responsibility for any and all mayhem
> caused by the program..
You'd be amazed how important "responsability" is in France but yes, I've
pointed out the lack of legal responsibility.. The thing is, it's very
important (here, in France) to be able to say "I had nothing to do with it -
I swear!"..

rlc

--
Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy,
But it's very funny -- did you ever try buying them without money?

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-09-02  9:21             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-02  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:48:37AM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:46:59PM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
> > What legal responsibility? I hope you have pointed these fine folks to
> > the appropriate sections of the so-called "License Agreements" (i.e. "we
> > agree that you will accept these terms, or you won't use the program"),
> > which specifically shirks all responsibility for any and all mayhem
> > caused by the program..
> You'd be amazed how important "responsability" is in France but yes, I've
> pointed out the lack of legal responsibility.. The thing is, it's very
> important (here, in France) to be able to say "I had nothing to do with it -
> I swear!"..

Old mgmt rule.  Whatever happens, you must ensure that you have somebody
to blame and sue for it.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-09-02 22:49           ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-09-02 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Shankar Unni wrote:

> Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>
>> ("At least there's a big company behind it that has the (legal)
>> responsability for the quality of the program..")
>
> ROTFLMAO.
>
> What legal responsibility? I hope you have pointed these fine folks to
> the appropriate sections of the so-called "License Agreements" (i.e.
> "we agree that you will accept these terms, or you won't use the
> program"), which specifically shirks all responsibility for any and
> all mayhem caused by the program..

They may not have the responsibility of the mayhem that is caused but I
think they can still be held responsible for basic product liability
like "works as advertised". IOW the consumer should be able to expect
that a tire will "work" on his car. Now we all know that some tires will
fail due to problems and generally tire companies will replace the tire
however they are not responsible for the mayhem that may have resulted
(unless some smart lawyer can prove negligence).

* New OLOCA entry (was Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?)
@ 2003-09-03  0:00             ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-09-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

>> ROTFLMAO.
> ??

wtf(rotfl) + My A** Off.

* Re: basename(), dirname(), what happened?
@ 2003-09-02 22:59 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-09-02 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hughes, Bill wrote:

> Even worse are the newer ones, which basically say: "This software may
> not work, tough. Even if it does work it may not work properly and
> corrupt all your data, tough. You also agree to let us change the
> software without telling you even though this may corrupt all your
> data. Still tough. You don't get to complain or sue us."

And the other new ones that have something akin to the following in
their license agreement ( ;-) ):

@ 2003-09-02  8:51 Hughes, Bill