* text setup
@ 2003-09-19 18:17 Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-19 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I use Cygwin along with Win2k. Is it possible to update the software in
text mode (access only via ssh)?

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 18:26 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Duleba; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> I use Cygwin along with Win2k. Is it possible to update the software in
> text mode (access only via ssh)?

There is currently no way to do a text-mode setup.  There is, however, a
way to run setup unattended via ssh.  Search the list archives for
"unattended setup".  You'll probably need to configure the ssh service to
allow interaction with the desktop.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 18:29   ` Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-19 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote

>> I use Cygwin along with Win2k. Is it possible to update the software in
>> text mode (access only via ssh)?
>
> There is currently no way to do a text-mode setup.  There is, however, a
> way to run setup unattended via ssh.  Search the list archives for
> "unattended setup".  You'll probably need to configure the ssh service
> allow interaction with the desktop.
> Igor

Will it allow me to choose the packages to install? How would I see the
result?

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 18:34     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-19 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Duleba; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote
>
> >> I use Cygwin along with Win2k. Is it possible to update the software in
> >> text mode (access only via ssh)?
> >
> > There is currently no way to do a text-mode setup.  There is, however,
> > a way to run setup unattended via ssh.  Search the list archives for
> > "unattended setup".  You'll probably need to configure the ssh service
> > to allow interaction with the desktop.
> > 	Igor
>
> Will it allow me to choose the packages to install?

Don't know, you'll have to search for instructions or look at setup
sources.

> How would I see the result?

If worse comes to worst, you can always take a look at
/var/log/setup.log{,full}.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 18:51       ` Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>> There is currently no way to do a text-mode setup.  There is, however,
>>> a way to run setup unattended via ssh.  Search the list archives for
>>> "unattended setup".  You'll probably need to configure the ssh service
>>> to allow interaction with the desktop.
>>> Igor
>>
>> Will it allow me to choose the packages to install?
>
> Don't know, you'll have to search for instructions

I will.

> or look at setup sources.

Bad news. I don't have enough time to play with the sources.

>> How would I see the result?
>
> If worse comes to worst, you can always take a look at
> /var/log/setup.log{,full}.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for help.

Is any text-mode setup developed? Or at least planned? I would increase a
lot the value of Cygwin.

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 19:03         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-19 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 08:43:35PM +0200, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:
>Is any text-mode setup developed? Or at least planned? I would increase a
>lot the value of Cygwin.

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but I'm working on a
perl-based+exec front end 'cygupdate' program.  It requires an existing
installation with such things as perl and cp involved, though.

I've been using it for all of my updates for a while with no problem but
it is not quite polished enoug for wide distribution yet.  There are
still some problems with replacing running binaries, like for instance,
the cygupdate.exe itself.

cgf

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 19:15           ` Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote

>>Is any text-mode setup developed? Or at least planned? I would increase
>>lot the value of Cygwin.
>
> I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but I'm working on a
> perl-based+exec front end 'cygupdate' program.  It requires an existing
> installation with such things as perl and cp involved, though.

Sounds promising. I'm looking forward to try it out.

> I've been using it for all of my updates for a while with no problem but
> it is not quite polished enoug for wide distribution yet.  There are
> still some problems with replacing running binaries, like for instance,
> the cygupdate.exe itself.

AFAIK setup handles it using some kind of scheduling. I guess that you
could adapt the same solution, if it makes any sense.

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 19:24             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-19 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:18:35PM +0200, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote
>>I've been using it for all of my updates for a while with no problem
>>but it is not quite polished enoug for wide distribution yet.  There
>>are still some problems with replacing running binaries, like for
>>instance, the cygupdate.exe itself.
>
>AFAIK setup handles it using some kind of scheduling.  I guess that you
>could adapt the same solution, if it makes any sense.

I'm not lacking in ideas on how to solve it, just time for implementing
the ideas.

cgf

* Re: text setup
@ 2003-09-19 19:39               ` Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-19 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote

>>>I've been using it for all of my updates for a while with no problem
>>>but it is not quite polished enoug for wide distribution yet.  There
>>>are still some problems with replacing running binaries, like for
>>>instance, the cygupdate.exe itself.
>>
>>AFAIK setup handles it using some kind of scheduling.  I guess that you
>>could adapt the same solution, if it makes any sense.
>
> I'm not lacking in ideas on how to solve it, just time for implementing
> the ideas.

I hope you will find it. Now I'll try to look for some info on "unattended
setup" recommended by Igor.

Regards