* MySQL and Perl
@ 2003-09-23  6:25 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-09-23  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Recently I embarked on trying to get MySQL running under Cygwin for a
project I'm working on in Perl. I have downloaded both DBI and DBD for
MySQL for Perl. Installing DBI was no problem. But DBD didn't work. So I
searched the archives and found
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg01717.html which states:

DBI should build out of the box, which version (Perl, DBI, ...) did you
try? To build DBD::mysql DBI needs to be installed and also the mysql
client import lib libmysqlclient.a. MySQL binary
mysql-3.23.43-pc-cygwin-i586.tar.bz2 including the client lib and the
(not stable running) server:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/mysql/

However that link goes nowhere (literally).

Additionally the readme for the DBD package states:

Windows/CygWin

Unfortunately it seems that the usual MySQL windows binaries cannot be
combined with the CygWin libraries. At least I don't know how. In other
words: You need to compile your own MySQL client binaries. In what
follows I assume that you have downloaded and extracted the MySQL
sources and the DBD::mysq sources to /usr/local/src. The following steps
should do:

So where do I get the MySQL sources? (Attempting to download the source
from:
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/download.php?file=Downloads%2FMySQL-4.0%2Fmysql-4.0.15a.tar.gz&pick=mirror
yeilds nothing but errors!).

I think it would be advantagous to have a Cygwin package for just the
MySQL client and/or the MySQL libraries needed to use MySQL as well as a
MySQL server compiled under Cygwin. Apparently that doesn't seem to exist.

===
Obligatory witty line: Honk If you want to see my finger

* Re: MySQL and Perl
@ 2001-03-27 18:28 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-03-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grahame Wright; +Cc: cygwin

I built Msql-Mysql-modules for perl-5.6.0 a while back, using this mysql
client library:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/unversioned/mysql-clientlib/index.html

and building according to these instructions:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/perl-5.6.0/modules.html#Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2211-1

WARNING: the rpm at that location CANNOT be used with the official (e.g.
available from cygwin mirrors) perl-5.6.1-TRIAL1 release of perl.  That
rpm can ONLY work with the perl-5.6.0 distributed at cygutils.
However, I do not recommend using the cygutils perl -- you're better off
building the mysql perl module yourself, using the perl-5.6.1-TRIAL1
release but following the instructions above.

DISCLAIMER: I have not attempted to build any of these modules with
perl-5.6.1-TRIAL1, but see no reason to expect they would not work.

--Chuck

Grahame Wright wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone managed to get Perl under Cygwin talking to a MySQL server,
> either Win32 on the same machine or any outside MySQL server??  I've been
> trying for quite a while to get this working, without success.  I am fairly
> sure it has to do with the /tmp/mysql.sock, or rather the lack of one.  All
> I get is cannot create IP socket when I try to connect.  I can however
> connect to the MySQL server using a pre-compiled client under Cygwin...so I
> really don't know where to look.  Does anyone have this working, or can
> point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks
>
> Grahame
> =======