* setup doesn't work with DNS down
@ 2003-09-26  2:27 Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-26  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a problem with setup - it can't connect to the server to download
list of mirrors. My Internet connection is ok, but DNS that I'm connected
to is down and temporary I'm resolving domain names manually. I can't
change DNS entry in TCP/IP settings because it requires reboot, which will
not happen in next few days. Is there a way to make setup work?

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba

* Re: setup doesn't work with DNS down
@ 2003-09-26  2:31 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-26  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Duleba; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

> I have a problem with setup - it can't connect to the server to download
> list of mirrors. My Internet connection is ok, but DNS that I'm connected
> to is down and temporary I'm resolving domain names manually. I can't
> change DNS entry in TCP/IP settings because it requires reboot, which will
> not happen in next few days. Is there a way to make setup work?
>
> Regards
> Krzysztof Duleba

Yup.  Add the following entry to /etc/hosts (mind the Tab):

67.72.78.213	www.cygwin.com cygwin.com sources.redhat.com

and setup will not care if your DNS has temporarily gone to the moon.
Just don't forget to take it out later (or keep it there, but beware of IP
address changes for www.cygwin.com, though they are usually announced
beforehand).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: setup doesn't work with DNS down
@ 2003-09-26  3:27   ` Krzysztof Duleba
From: Krzysztof Duleba @ 2003-09-26  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>> I have a problem with setup - it can't connect to the server to
download
>> list of mirrors. My Internet connection is ok, but DNS that I'm
connected
>> to is down and temporary I'm resolving domain names manually. I can't
>> change DNS entry in TCP/IP settings because it requires reboot, which
will
>> not happen in next few days. Is there a way to make setup work?
>
> Yup.  Add the following entry to /etc/hosts (mind the Tab):
> 67.72.78.213 www.cygwin.com cygwin.com sources.redhat.com

It works! Thank you very much :-)

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba