* Problems with .exe files
@ 2003-10-16  2:04 Kris Thielemans
From: Kris Thielemans @ 2003-10-16  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: 'Kris Thielemans'

Hi

Since upgrading cygwin a few days ago, I can no longer cp .exe files if
I don't use the .exe suffix. I can reproduce this as follows:

$ mkdir a
$ touch t.exe
$ cp t a
cp: `t' and `a/t' are the same file
$ cp t somenonexistingfilename
cp: 't' and 'somenonexistingfilename' are the same file

I also have a problem with rm (and maybe others)

$ rm t
rm: cannot unlink `t': No such file or directory

Note that  as soon as I add the .exe suffix, everthing works fine
$ cp t.exe a

This problem breaks my Makefiles (when using make install and clean).

Other maybe relevant info:

I'm running cygwin 1.5.5-1 on XP sp1.

I might have a cygwin installation that is screwed up :-( Here is why.
I did have lots of 'entrypoint __getreent missing' errors while doing
the postinstall part of setup, as was also mentioned on this list by
Tomasz Rojek
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg00200.html). (maybe I
had this because of an sshd daemon or so?)
I did reboot, and ran setup again to be sure. However, I don't think
this reruns all those postinstall scripts that went wrong the first
time... (For instance, info doesn't seem to have a top-level directory
available).
Any advice on this issue will also be welcome.

Many thanks

Kris Thielemans

PS: I'd appreciate a CC to me as I'm reading this mailing list by google
and/or archive.

* Re: Problems with .exe files
@ 2003-10-16  2:30 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-10-16  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kris Thielemans wrote:

>Hi
>
>Since upgrading cygwin a few days ago, I can no longer cp .exe files if I don't use the .exe suffix. I can reproduce this as follows:
>
>$ mkdir a
>$ touch t.exe
>$ cp t a
>cp: `t' and `a/t' are the same file
>$ cp t somenonexistingfilename
>cp: 't' and 'somenonexistingfilename' are the same file
>
>I also have a problem with rm (and maybe others)
>
>$ rm t
>rm: cannot unlink `t': No such file or directory
>

>Note that  as soon as I add the .exe suffix, everthing works fine
>$ cp t.exe a

Why would you think that you can cp t as just "t" but you'd have to
touch "t.exe"? The real name of the the file is t.exe, for touch, cp,
rm, etc. The only time that just "t" suffices is for exec.

--
Do witches run spell checkers?

* Re: Problems with .exe files
@ 2003-10-16 13:02 Kris Thielemans
From: Kris Thielemans @ 2003-10-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ADeFaria; +Cc: Gnuwin

> Why would you think that you can cp t as just "t" but you'd have to touch
"t.exe"?
> The real name of the file is t.exe, for touch, cp, rm, etc. The only time
that just
> "t" suffices is for exec.

Because it used to work on older cygwin. I suspect exactly to get Makefile
and other automated processes tow rok, and I quite like it.

For example on an older cygwin (1.3.22-1)

touch t.exe
cp t a
ls a   -> says a exists
ls a*  -> says a.exe exists