* Disappearing Bash and __getreent procedure
@ 2004-02-28  0:53 Ryan _
From: Ryan _ @ 2004-02-28  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I recently did a fresh install of Cygwin and installed the default
components plus those needed for openssh. When I tried initially to run
Cygwin, a window appeared (looked like a dos prompt) then disappeared.
Checking the path and trying to find someone on the web about this, I found
nothing. So I tried replacing the newest release of the cygwin1.dll (ver
1005.7.0) with version 1005.4.0. At first that didn't work ... but after
clicking the shortcut 20 times out of frustration, the bash shell appeared!

Problem was ... bash couldn't find any of the files. Running ./[command]
worked ... so I played around with the path until it worked. (Honestly, I
don't know what I changed to make it work.) So I ran ssh-host-config and
then tried to run "cygrunsrv --start -sshd" and I get an error box entitled,
"sshd.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with the error, "The procedure entry
point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic link library
cygwin1.dll." When I looked that up, I saw that that was an error in older
version of the dll (great.).

Next try was to use the nightly snapshot of cygwin1.dll (1005.8.0 released
2/27/04). I get the same window dissapearing act as the first time.

So I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed.

I just want openssh ... is that so hard?

Thanks.

Ryan

* Re: Disappearing Bash and __getreent procedure
@ 2004-02-28  1:34 ` Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia @ 2004-02-28  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:14:38 +0000, Ryan _ wrote in
<BAY2-F45q8MdU3ZhFLC000121b1@hotmail.com>:

>Cygwin, a window appeared (looked like a dos prompt) then disappeared.

My suggestion. Delete the whole cygwin directory, save up your copy of
setup.exe, nuke the cached files, use regedit and search all
KH*/Programs/Cygnus trees in the registry and kill them. Reinstall
from the internet afresh.

>So I ran ssh-host-config and
>then tried to run "cygrunsrv --start -sshd" and I get an error box entitled,
>"sshd.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with the error, "The procedure entry
>point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic link library
>cygwin1.dll." When I looked that up, I saw that that was an error in older
>version of the dll (great.).

Make sure to add the path <bootdisk>\<path to cygwin>\bin directory to
the system path (not the user path, the system path, if you are using
a Windows NT flavor).

>So I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed.
>
>I just want openssh ... is that so hard?

Perhaps you had a "bad-hair" day?

Alejo

* Re: Disappearing Bash and __getreent procedure
@ 2004-02-28  5:25   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-02-28  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:08:03PM -0500, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:14:38 +0000, Ryan _ wrote in
><BAY2-F45q8MdU3ZhFLC000121b1@hotmail.com>:
>>Cygwin, a window appeared (looked like a dos prompt) then disappeared.
>
>My suggestion. Delete the whole cygwin directory, save up your copy of
>setup.exe, nuke the cached files, use regedit and search all
>KH*/Programs/Cygnus trees in the registry and kill them. Reinstall
>from the internet afresh.

Argh.  No.

This is undoubtedly due to an old version of cygwin1.dll somewhere on
the system, maybe in \windows\system32 (where it doesn't belong).

Following the instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html should
be adequate for tracking the problem down.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org

* Re: Disappearing Bash and __getreent procedure
@ 2004-02-28 16:21     ` Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia @ 2004-02-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:07:23 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote in
<20040228020723.GB4665@redhat.com>:

>On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:08:03PM -0500, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
>>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:14:38 +0000, Ryan _ wrote in
>><BAY2-F45q8MdU3ZhFLC000121b1@hotmail.com>:
>>>Cygwin, a window appeared (looked like a dos prompt) then disappeared.
>>
>>My suggestion. Delete the whole cygwin directory, save up your copy of
>>setup.exe, nuke the cached files, use regedit and search all
>>KH*/Programs/Cygnus trees in the registry and kill them. Reinstall
>>from the internet afresh.
>
>Argh.  No.
>
>This is undoubtedly due to an old version of cygwin1.dll somewhere on
>the system, maybe in \windows\system32 (where it doesn't belong).

Ahh yes! I knew I had forgotten something: "After removing cygwin from
your system search you system partition and all the extra directories
available in your path variable for additional copies of cygwin1.dll".
:-)

>Following the instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html should
>be adequate for tracking the problem down.

I sometimes think people want to blow their legs with a shotgun at the
height of their lower belt line (particularly young men in first-year
college and late high-school); I am happy to oblige. It is not my
place to judge; as the millenary Shri-Lanka saying says (properly
quoted by Arthur C. Clarke): "Even the Gods themselves are helpless
against human stupidity...".