On 21.04.2019 14:45, Matt D. wrote: > > I had the same problem while trying to tar and untar: > > tar: aosp/source/system/vold/.git/shallow: Cannot create symlink to > ‘../../../.repo/projects/system/vold.git/shallow’: No such file or directory My current workaround for *this* particular problem is to catch the "Cannot create symlink" message and attempt to re-run tar multiple times until the message is no longer outputted or the script runs out of attempts. This works OK, unless the symlink graph is maliciously gnarly. I doubt that this will be fixed anytime soon, it's a property of the NTFS, and you should have known what you were signing on for when you enabled winsymlinks:nativestrict (i'm assuming that you did; otherwise you shouldn't have been getting these errors).