* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.919)
@ 2022-07-02 12:03 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-07-02 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new version of Setup (2.919) has been uploaded to:

  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)

Changes compared to 2.918:

- Fix '-P package-with-only-a-test-version'

- De-clutter the mirror selection listbox

Where a mirror site supports multiple protocols (e.g ftp, http, https),
don't show URLs for that site which are flagged as redundant in the
mirror list, unless that URL has already been selected on a previous run.

- Various autoconf related cleanups

- Add localization for command-line option help-text

- Updates and corrections to French translation (Thanks to Eric Laussage)

- Publish a PO template file for translations

For instructions on obtaining and building the source code for setup,
see https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.919)
@ 2022-07-04  4:48 ` Helge Konetzka
From: Helge Konetzka @ 2022-07-04  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jon Turney

Hello,

Am 02.07.22 um 14:03 schrieb Jon Turney:

> A new version of Setup (2.919) has been uploaded to:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
>
> Changes compared to 2.918:
>
> - Fix '-P package-with-only-a-test-version'
>
> - De-clutter the mirror selection listbox
>
> Where a mirror site supports multiple protocols (e.g ftp, http, https),
> don't show URLs for that site which are flagged as redundant in the
> mirror list, unless that URL has already been selected on a previous run.

I used to retrieve updates from http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de mainly
because I am using a http proxy for package caching.

With 2.918 and before on each setup run I had to select
http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de manually, because
https://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de was always selected by default. My
selection was never persisted. No big deal.

But with 2.919 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de isn't selectable anymore.
Now I need to add it manually on each setup run, because it does not
stay in the list. Thats really inconvenient.

This doesn't match your explanation above. Please have a look!

Best regards
Helge Konetzka

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.919)
@ 2022-08-15 12:22   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-08-15 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/07/2022 05:48, Helge Konetzka wrote:
> Am 02.07.22 um 14:03 schrieb Jon Turney:
[...]
>> - Fix '-P package-with-only-a-test-version'
>>
>> - De-clutter the mirror selection listbox
>>
>> Where a mirror site supports multiple protocols (e.g ftp, http,
>> https), don't show URLs for that site which are flagged as redundant
>> in the mirror list, unless that URL has already been selected on a
>> previous run.
>
> I used to retrieve updates from http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de mainly
> because I am using a http proxy for package caching.
>
> With 2.918 and before on each setup run I had to select
> http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de manually, because
> https://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de was always selected by default. My
> selection was never persisted. No big deal.
>
> But with 2.919 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de isn't selectable anymore.
> Now I need to add it manually on each setup run, because it does not
> stay in the list. Thats really inconvenient.
>
> This doesn't match your explanation above. Please have a look!

Yes, the behaviour described can only really be seen for ftp:// URLs,
because some other part of the code upgrades http:// URLs for a previous
run to https://

I don't really want to stop doing that, so I'm not sure what to do about
this.

It's been suggested that we add an option to turn that upgrading off
(e.g see discussion ending at [1]), but if you are going to use an
option every time you run setup, in your case you might as well add "-O
--site  http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de" ?

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-February/250826.html

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.919)
@ 2022-08-15 16:35     ` Helge Konetzka
From: Helge Konetzka @ 2022-08-15 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.08.22 um 14:22 schrieb Jon Turney:
> Yes, the behaviour described can only really be seen for ftp:// URLs,
> because some other part of the code upgrades http:// URLs for a previous
> run to https://
>
> I don't really want to stop doing that, so I'm not sure what to do about
> this.
>
> It's been suggested that we add an option to turn that upgrading off
> (e.g see discussion ending at [1]), but if you are going to use an
> option every time you run setup, in your case you might as well add "-O
> --site  http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de" ?

Thanks for this hint. It solves my issues!

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.919)
@ 2022-08-28 15:46 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-08-28 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/07/2022 13:03, Jon Turney wrote:

> A new version of Setup (2.919) has been uploaded to:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)
>
> Changes compared to 2.918:
>
> - Fix '-P package-with-only-a-test-version'
>
> - De-clutter the mirror selection listbox
>
> Where a mirror site supports multiple protocols (e.g ftp, http, https),
> don't show URLs for that site which are flagged as redundant in the
> mirror list, unless that URL has already been selected on a previous run.
>
> - Various autoconf related cleanups
>
> - Add localization for command-line option help-text
>
> - Updates and corrections to French translation (Thanks to Eric Laussage)
>
> - Publish a PO template file for translations

I meant to add that template, for use with poedit and similar tools, is
at [1], or online at [2] (registration required).

[1] https://cygwin.com/git/?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=res.pot
[2] https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/cygwin-setup/cygwin-setup/