From: Brendan Simon <BSimon@randata.com.au>
To: "'Richard Henry Wood'" <woodwrk@cyberramp.net>,
	"'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'" <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>,
	"'hgfernan@usp.br'" <hgfernan@usp.br>
Subject: RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 17:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>> Please be warned that V is mainly a Unix GUI library; its
>> support to Windows 95/NT is still to be done.  People wanting to
> program for Win95/NT should take a look at wxWindows.
>> Maybe wxWindows should be added to Cygnus page.

THIS IS DEFINATELY INCORRECT !!!

V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.
The MS-Windows version comes with make files for common compilers such
as
Borland etc.
I have V version 1.16 working on both Windows 95 and X Windows (Linux)
on
a 486DX2/66.  I compiled the MS-Win version with CYGWIN32.  It runs
about
HALF the speed of the X Windows compiled version.  I believe the
performance
hit is the CYGWIN stuff.  I don't have any commercial compilers handy to
compile V with so I can't be absolutely sure, but since other non GUI
utilities such as "ls" are very slow I think I am right.

Brendan Simon
brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au

-