Re text/binary: NOTEPAD is not a text editor. It is a bug. NOTEPAD compatibility is not a valid concern. Seriously! Why hang on to ancient conventions such as the distinction between binary and text mode? It is useless anyway. It _used_ to be like that if a file was 'text', it was ASCII (aka ISO 646) text, and could be transmitted safely through 7-bit channels. That was long ago. Most of my 'text' files use 8-bit or 16-bit character sets, and you have to know beforehand, 'cause the file itself doesn't say what character set is used. I don't want any automatic conversion of any characters, and I most certainly don't want truncation at first ^Z. Why should I want to open a file in 'text' mode? What if I run a cygwin application to write a 'text' file that is part of a MacOS application? I need three different record separators, and I can't infer which to use just from what OS the application is running on. BTW, this is an actual example of what I use cygwin tools for. Kind regards Peter Ring. -----Original Message----- From: Earnie Boyd [ mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com ] Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 14:49 To: Smith, Martin; Cygwin Cc: 'tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de' Subject: RE: ÆANNÅ Cygwin DEV survey ---"Smith, Martin" wrote: 8< > * What about text/binary mounts - I get the feeling binary mounts are > preferred for most applications but, by default, the Cygnus tools install > with text mounts. Is it wise to change this to binary for a 'development' > install or not? 8< NO! The preferred method is text mounts. That is the reason for the default. If a program requires binary mounts then the program isn't properly ported. Switching to binary mounts causes other problems. In a program always _SPECIFY_ whether it is to be opened for text mode processing or binary mode processing, don't rely on the default. A file should be opened for text mode processing if the file can potentially be read or created by humans with a text mode editor, such as NOTEPAD. All other files should be opened for binary mode processing. -- Want to unsubscribe from this list? Send a message to cygwin-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com