* RE: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-16 21:54 TOMMY REYNOLDS
From: TOMMY REYNOLDS @ 1998-10-16 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alexei Karpov', 'John Archer'
  Cc: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

The problem can be more subtle than this.  If only *SOME* of your
directories
are mounted as binary (such as "/tmp") then CYGWIN32 can get confused
about
the desired format of a text file if a temporary file must be created.
It's safest to
either mount all directories as binary or mount none of them as binary.

Tommy Reynolds
ADTRAN, INC / 901 Explorer Blvd. / Huntsville AL 35806 USA
Phone: +1.800.9ADTRAN / +1.256.963.6989
From: John Archer @ 1998-10-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Karpov; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi

Alexei Karpov wrote:
	>>My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
	>>echo I do not know why it's does not work.
	>>When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing
separator.  Stop.

	>>Under Unix it works properly, why it does not work
	>>under CygWin32. May be anybody has ever had the
	>>same error.

I get this problem if I have inadvertently used a text editor that
replaces tab characters with spaces.
Putting the tab characters back again, solves the problem.

John Archer

-

* *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-14  7:39 Alexei Karpov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alexei Karpov @ 1998-10-14  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

    My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
echo I do not know why it's does not work.
When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.

Under Unix it works properly, why it does not work
under CygWin32. May be anybody has ever had the
same error.

I use :
GNU Make version 3.75-B19, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Thanks a lot,

--
Alexei Karpov
SONY Platform Software Development Center - Belgium ( PSDC- B )

" There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and
  the only other life is complete rejection of the rules... "

-