I'm seeing sporadic errors like this on 64-bit Cygwin when I first start emacs: 0 [main] emacs-X11 864 C:\cygwin64\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in forked process - Can't recreate shared timerfd section during fork! 0 [main] emacs 860 dofork: child 864 - died waiting for dll loading, errno 11 If I exit and restart, everything will be fine almost every time. On 32-bit Cygwin, I don't get an error on startup. But I consistently get an error when I try to list a directory within emacs (emacs is forking a subprocess that calls 'ls'). I don't see any error message on the terminal in this case, and the error message in emacs isn't informative. In both the 64-bit and 32-bit cases, I've installed the 20190223 snapshot. I'm attaching the output from attaching strace to emacs (32-bit case) right before trying to list a directory. I can try to make an STC if the strace output isn't helpful, but I won't have time to do that today. Presumably the key elements are to start a timerfd timer, call select on it (possibly in a loop), and fork a subprocess. Ken