From: Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@DeFaria.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: File permission problem
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:41:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep 24 07:51, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> smbntsec doesn't work reliably given the variability of smb servers.
>>
>> Still seems strange to me. If off it doesn't work at all (right?)!
>> Even if it worked 50% of the time that's 50% better than 0%.
>
> What's strange in having an unreliable option only switched on if the
> user really wants it and (hopefully) knows what (s)he's doing?

The people who either doesn't know what they are doing (but know what
they want) and don't have a clue of what they need to search for and how
to turn it on, may benefit from it being on, it working correctly in
those cases where it does work! ;-)

Actually I don't know of a case where the user wants ntsec to be ignored
just because the file system is mounted (again, assuming it works
properly in their environment).

Which situations does it not work reliably in? Does it work reliably
when there is all Windows systems involved (sans 9x), which I would
think would be a pretty common situation? Does it just have problems
with some versions of Samba?
--
Hit any user to continue.