* Please update "mingw64-x86_64-gtksourceview3.0" - the available version has a severe bug
@ 2020-07-04 16:08 Michael Soegtrop
From: Michael Soegtrop @ 2020-07-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin Team,

can you please update these packages:

mingw64-x86_64-gtksourceview3.0
mingw64-i686-gtksourceview3.0

The available version 3.24.6 has a severe bug: when a thread ends global
objects of gtksourceview are deleted which later leads to crashes when
the corresponding memory is reallocated, since the objects are still
used by other threads.

This is fixed since a while, definitely in 3.24.11.

AFAIK the cygwin (not mingw) packages don't have this issue, but for
consistency they should also be updated.

Thanks & best regards,

Michael

* Re: Please update "mingw64-x86_64-gtksourceview3.0" - the available version has a severe bug
@ 2020-07-04 17:29 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-07-04 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Soegtrop, cygwin

On 04.07.2020 18:08, Michael Soegtrop wrote:
> Dear Cygwin Team,
>
> can you please update these packages:
>
> mingw64-x86_64-gtksourceview3.0
> mingw64-i686-gtksourceview3.0
>
> The available version 3.24.6 has a severe bug: when a thread ends global
> objects of gtksourceview are deleted which later leads to crashes when
> the corresponding memory is reallocated, since the objects are still
> used by other threads.
>
> This is fixed since a while, definitely in 3.24.11.
>
> AFAIK the cygwin (not mingw) packages don't have this issue, but for
> consistency they should also be updated.
>
> Thanks & best regards,
>
> Michael

unfortunately it will not be updated shortly.
The package is currently without an active maintainer

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-March/039877.html

Are you eventually interested to adopt it ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: Please update "mingw64-x86_64-gtksourceview3.0" - the available version has a severe bug
@ 2020-07-04 18:19   ` Michael Soegtrop
From: Michael Soegtrop @ 2020-07-04 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin

Hi Marco,

> unfortunately it will not be updated shortly.
> The package is currently without an active maintainer
>
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-March/039877.html
>
> Are you eventually interested to adopt it ?

I am not an expert for GTK3 but I maintain the windows build of a
largish open source project which uses GTK3 and has many CI runs a day
each with a freshly installed cygwin, so I find out quickly if e.g.
dependencies break. I am also roughly familiar with the cygwin packaging
process.

So yes, if nobody else is maintaining it, I can do so. It is due time to
give back a little bit to the cygwin project which does help me a lot
(how can one survive on Windows without it?). I can also take care of
the gtksourceview cygwin package (not mingw), although I have much less
exposure to if this will work or not.

And I guess I should take care of base GTK3 as well then, both cygwin
and mingw (of cause only if the cygwin package doesn't have a maintainer
already).

What are the formalities?

@ 2020-07-04 19:08     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-07-04 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Soegtrop, cygwin

On 04.07.2020 20:19, Michael Soegtrop wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
>> unfortunately it will not be updated shortly.
>> The package is currently without an active maintainer
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-March/039877.html
>>
>> Are you eventually interested to adopt it ?
>
> I am not an expert for GTK3 but I maintain the windows build of a
> largish open source project which uses GTK3 and has many CI runs a day
> each with a freshly installed cygwin, so I find out quickly if e.g.
> dependencies break. I am also roughly familiar with the cygwin packaging
> process.
>
> So yes, if nobody else is maintaining it, I can do so. It is due time to
> give back a little bit to the cygwin project which does help me a lot
> (how can one survive on Windows without it?). I can also take care of
> the gtksourceview cygwin package (not mingw), although I have much less
> exposure to if this will work or not.
>
> And I guess I should take care of base GTK3 as well then, both cygwin
> and mingw (of cause only if the cygwin package doesn't have a maintainer
> already).
>
> What are the formalities?

join cygwin-apps mailing list, so you can ask anything
about packaging there.

read the guide
https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html

install cygport, look at the previous source package,
as most of the time things did not change too much
and when you are ready make a formal ITA (intention to adopt)
similar to ITP

https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#ITA

> Best regards,
>
> Michael