From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin generates syscalls for *.lnk files on filesystems with native symlink support?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 13:27:59 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2024-01-08 12:57, matthew patton via Cygwin wrote:
>> This breaks many applications such as the java runtime among others.
> In any event "unreadable files" is a problem all over the place if I use Cygwin's /usr/bin/ln to create links. That's why I was forced to write a wrapper. Even if 'JUNCTION' is false/misleading as to the root cause, plenty of 'DOS' programs, like the AWS CLI and Golang have major problems with the default behavior.
> For a "compatibility" environment to spawn a slew of unusable filesystem artifacts is a MAJOR bug, IMO.

That is why you have env var settings to make things more compatible.
Read the docs and make the best choice for your situation.
Cygwin is compatible with MS Windows but expecting MS Windows to be compatible
with anything else is expecting too much.
Just avoid using non-POSIX interfaces and you will be much better off.
You can then be confident that anything you do or have can easily be moved to
another POSIX compatible system and used with only minor differences, unless you
go crazy and use another proprietary system!

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry