From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Trouble with output character sets from Win32 applications running under mintty
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 15:23:10 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2020-08-03 11:42, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Doesn't help. I tried 65001 (UTF-8):
>
> Because you're confusing things.
> chcp has nothing to do with LANG or LC_*.
> Et vice versa.
>
> chcp sets console code page for native console applications. Only for those
> supporting it. Many do not.
> LANG sets output parameters for Cygwin applications (and other programs that
> look for it, but these are few).

You cut the significant statement at the top of the OP:

>> I'm having a problem with Cygwin 3.1.4, changing the character set on the
>> fly. It seems to work with Cygwin applications, but not with Win32
>> applications.

He has problems with invalid characters only running win32 console applications:
I changed the subject to hopefully better reflect the issue.

I am unsure where Cygwin 3.1.4 comes into Win32 applications - you have to use
the Windows codepage conversion routines.

You can only change input character sets on the fly; output character sets will
depend on mintty support of xterm-compatible character set support and switching
escape sequences; if you set up UCS16LE console output, Windows and mintty
should handle it.

Perhaps a better description of your environment, build tools, what you are
trying to do, what you expect as output, and what you are getting as output,
could help us better understand and help with the issue you see.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]