This problem appeared with my most recent Cygwin update that included an update to "vim". My Cygwin installation now show vim version 9.0.2115. Launching VIM from the shell running in a mintty window using the full pathname "/usr/bin/vim" works fine. But launching "/usr/bin/vi" (which has worked fine for many years, until the most recent update), results in a long string of startup E319 errors: > $ /usr/bin/vi > Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim90/filetype.vim: > line   11: > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: let > did_load_filetypes = 1 > line   14: > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: let > s:cpo_save = &cpo > line   48: > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: func > s:StarSetf(ft) > line   52: > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: endfunc etc. etc. Note that the startup errors appear only when using the full pathname "/usr/bin/vi". Using the command name alone ("vi") relying on the search path does not trigger the startup errors; using either the full pathname "/usr/bin/vim" or the command name alone "vim" relying on the search path does not trigger the startup errors. I encountered this because some of my longtime 'convenience' Windows desktop links were launching a mintty window using "vi": > Target: C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico > /usr/bin/vi // Easily fixed for me by changing "vi" to "vim". But don't know whether this change in behavior has any other implications? Beau