* FW: v1.74 install F90 compiler
@ 2005-07-18 18:18 Javier Sacristan
From: Javier Sacristan @ 2005-07-18 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin@cygwin.com

Dears Cygwiners,
I need to compile some codes wrote on F90, I have  already installed on my PC, (wi-XPpro)  visual fortran 5.0, but  I do not know how to install  it  on Cygwin?

JSB

* Re: FW: v1.74 install F90 compiler
@ 2005-07-18 19:08 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2005-07-18 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Sacristan; +Cc: cygwin

Javier Sacristan schrieb:
> Dears Cygwiners,
> I need to compile some codes wrote on F90, I have  already installed on my PC, (wi-XPpro)  visual fortran 5.0, but  I do not know how to install  it  on Cygwin?

do you see any visual fortran 5.0 package in setup?
if not, you cannot install it.

maybe some other unsupported cygwin setup host has some visual fortran
5.0 package to install from, but most likely you want gcc-g77 (gcc-fortran).

See http://cygwin.com/packages/

--
Reini

* Re: FW: v1.74 install F90 compiler
@ 2005-07-18 21:53 ` Mark Hadfield
From: Mark Hadfield @ 2005-07-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Javier Sacristan wrote:
> I need to compile some codes wrote on F90, I have  already installed
 > on my PC, (wi-XPpro)  visual fortran 5.0, but  I do not know how to
 > install  it  on Cygwin?

You can run Visual Fortran 5.0 under the Cygwin bash shell. (I have done
this in the past; currently I run version 6.6.) The Visual Fortran
installation program should have installed a file called DFVARS.BAT,
which you are supposed to run in a Windows CMD shell to set up the
environment variables needed for command-line operation. You need to set
the same variables in your Cygwin environment. I suggest translating the
commands in the batch file to bash commands manually. Here is what the
resulting commands look like on my system

   msdev='D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio'

   export MSDEVDIR=$msdev\\Common\\MSDEV98
   export TOOLSDIR=$msdev\\Common\\TOOLS

   export DFDIR=$msdev\\DF98
   export VCDIR=$msdev\\VC98

   export MSDEVDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$MSDEVDIR")
   export TOOLSDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$TOOLSDIR")
   export DFDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$DFDIR")
   export VCDIR_UNIX=$(cygpath --unix "$VCDIR")

   export
PATH=$MSDEVDIR_UNIX/Bin:$DFDIR_UNIX/Bin:$VCDIR_UNIX/Bin:$TOOLSDIR_UNIX:$PATH

   export INCLUDE=$DFDIR\\Include';'$VCDIR\\Include
   export LIB=$DFDIR\\Lib';'$VCDIR\\Lib

   export DF="/nologo /traceback"

(These are for version 6.6. The ones needed for version 5.0 will be
slightly different. But this should help.)

Visual Fortran 5.0 is a bit long in the tooth, and there are some valid
Fortran 90 constructs for which it either fails to compile or produces
horrendously slow code.

I suggest you take a look at g95:

   http://www.g95.org/

Use the "Cygwin x86 binary", not the self-extracting one.

PS: what does the v1.74 in the title refer to?

--
Mark Hadfield          "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
m.hadfield@niwa.co.nz