From: Nick Glencross <nick.glencross@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Visibility of compiler symbols between executables and DLLs
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Guys,

I've done some research on this and don't believe that it's a
perennial question that keeps coming up!

On many platforms compilation symbols in an executable are not made
visible to its Shared Library/DLLs by default, but this can often be
overridden with a compiler flag to change the policy. My question in a
nutshell then is whether cygwin has the ability to have a DLL access a
global variable within the executable that loads it? As an obvious
follow on, if yes, then how do you go about doing it?

Everything that I've seen indicates that this isn't possible, due to
limitations imposed by DLLs, but would appreciate believing this with
a bit more confidence,

Thanks in advance,

Nick