From: Mike Stockman <mstockman@aol.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Windows update vs. cygrunsrv
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:03:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Eric Blake wrote:
> I don't know it this was unique to my machine, but am
> reporting it in case anyone else runs into the same
> issue.  When running Microsoft update today, on Win2k,
> the patch for Security Update for DirectX 9 for Windows
> 2000 (KB904706) hung during installation, with an
> instance of cygrunsrv hogging 100% CPU, until I had
> stopped every last one of my cygrunsrv processes.  I
> don't know what the Microsoft update was trying to do
> to running services during the update, but it obviously
> didn't interact very well with cygrunsrv.

I have encountered this on a Windows 2000 system whenever I
install/uninstall Apple's iTunes and QuickTime. I end up with cygrunsrv
using all CPU time and when I kill it, the Apple installation fails. No
idea why... the only way past this was to manually uninstall the Apple
products and reinstall them.

Not sure what the pattern is here, but it's one more piece of data...

Mike