* What can I do about messages bouncing - ezmlm warning
@ 2015-07-02  4:53 Ray Satiro
From: Ray Satiro @ 2015-07-02  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I received an e-mail from cygwin-help:

 > Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
 > have been bouncing.

The error is:

 > User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
 > <raysatiro@yahoo.com> 98.138.112.35 failed after I sent the message.
 > Remote host said: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.
 > See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-28.html

It looks like this might be related to DMARC. Is there anything I can do
about this (other than stop using yahoo) to continue receiving messages
from your list?

* Re: What can I do about messages bouncing - ezmlm warning
@ 2015-07-02 16:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-07-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Satiro, cygwin

Greetings, Ray Satiro!

 >> Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
 >> have been bouncing.

> The error is:

 >> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
 >> <raysatiro@yahoo.com> 98.138.112.35 failed after I sent the message.
 >> Remote host said: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.
 >> See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-28.html

> It looks like this might be related to DMARC. Is there anything I can do
> about this (other than stop using yahoo) to continue receiving messages
> from your list?

This is yahoo server getting to you. Not RedHat one.
I don't see, why you are posting it to the list.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: What can I do about messages bouncing - ezmlm warning
@ 2015-07-02 18:07   ` Ian Lambert
From: Ian Lambert @ 2015-07-02 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> >> Messages to you from the cygwin mailing list seem to
> >> have been bouncing.
>
>> The error is:
>

>>> Remote host said: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.
> >> See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-28.html
>
>> It looks like this might be related to DMARC. Is there anything I can
>do
>> about this (other than stop using yahoo) to continue receiving
>messages
>> from your list?
>
>This is yahoo server getting to you. Not RedHat one.
>I don't see, why you are posting it to the list.

I see the same periodically, and miss a few mails. Also, they get tagged as spam often. Maybe cygwin.com and sourceware.org could better comply with postmaster-28 requirements?

* Re: What can I do about messages bouncing - ezmlm warning
@ 2015-07-02 19:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-07-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lambert, cygwin

Greetings, Ian Lambert!

>>> The error is:

>>> It looks like this might be related to DMARC. Is there anything I can
>>do
>>> about this (other than stop using yahoo) to continue receiving
>>messages
>>> from your list?
>>
>>This is yahoo server getting to you. Not RedHat one.
>>I don't see, why you are posting it to the list.

> I see the same periodically, and miss a few mails. Also, they get tagged as
> spam often. Maybe cygwin.com and sourceware.org could better comply with postmaster-28 requirements?

This is not a problem of sourceware server.
He sent a letter to both list and the original message sender.
He got a reply from original sender's server that his message (in fact, his
off-list message!) was rejected.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-07-02 19:54       ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2015-07-02 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2015.07.02 15:29, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Ian Lambert!

> reasons.

> can
> >>do
> >>messages
> >>
> >>This is yahoo server getting to you. Not RedHat one.
> >>I don't see, why you are posting it to the list.
>

> > I see the same periodically, and miss a few mails. Also, they get
> tagged as
> > spam often. Maybe cygwin.com and sourceware.org could better comply
> with postmaster-28 requirements?
>
> This is not a problem of sourceware server.
> He sent a letter to both list and the original message sender.
> He got a reply from original sender's server that his message (in
> fact, his
> off-list message!) was rejected.

I also get these bounces as much as every few weeks, as well as the
notes from the list that messages have bounced.  Every time I've tried
to actually track down the cause, I've ended up rolling my eyes and
eventually blaming Yahoo (which is who handles the mail for my ISP) and
there is absolutely no way to find a human to even discuss this with.
My best guess is that Yahoo has a reputation for not adequately
clamping down on spam sent from domains it controls, so it seems to
revolve in and out of various, generally short term, local blacklists.
I agree it's not an issue with cygwin or sourceware.

Jack