* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-06-05 10:41 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-06-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Still nothing in /var/log/messages

No need to reboot. Just make sure the syslogd is started, it should
output somthing when it starts but nothing special when launching in.rshd.

To make sure syslog works, just

$ syslog hello
$ tail /var/log/messages

> Also, we must remember you're on XP (Home?) and I'm on 2003 Server...

Yes, XP Home at home and XP Pro at work. Same segfault on both.

> > (...) maybe chmod 600
> Hmmm... I thought that permissions had to be at least o+r

You are right. I check on my work machine where .rhosts exists
and it does have permission 644. Sorry.

> What I'm really doing is mounting //<server>/<share> -> /us (we have
> /us and /china for US and China users) and then I put /us/adefaria
> in the home field of /etc/passwd. Interestingly an ls -l of /us
> shows permissions of 000!

Maybe OK. Cygwin "ls -l" does not show the whole true. I guess Windows
ACL shows the truth but I try to avoid changing them. Always get
a feeling of sinking in quicksand.

Lars

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-06-05 15:01 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-06-05 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Björnfot wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Still nothing in /var/log/messages
> No need to reboot. Just make sure the syslogd is started, it should
> output somthing when it starts but nothing special when launching in.rshd.
>
> To make sure syslog works, just
>
> $ syslog hello
> $ tail /var/log/messages
I set up syslogd again. I encountered the following problems. First the
syslogd-config script output an error "setfacl: No such file or
directory". This turns out to be from the command: setfacl -m
u:system:rwx /dev. Apparently /dev isn't a file or directory on 2003!

Next I tried starting the syslogd service and it wouldn't work. I had
this problem before when I set up syslogd on this server but since
nothing ever got written to /var/log/messages I removed it. Turns out it
has a problem creating a socket file in /dev. By default it tries to
create /dev/log and it can't. Syslogd does have a -p paramter to specify
an alternate place for this socket file. I used -p /var/run/syslogd. I
had to hack that into the registry.

As for /var/log/messages I have:

[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:tail -f /var/log/messages
Jun  4 23:12:16 SONS-SC-CC syslogd: restart
Jun  4 23:12:29 SONS-SC-CC syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Jun  4 23:12:44 SONS-SC-CC syslogd: restart

Executing syslog hello in another window just gives me a command prompt
back. Nothing gets written to /var/log/messages!

Wait, I take that back, somewhat... While the syslog hello doesn't put
anything in /var/log/messages an rsh localhost id does:

[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:tail -f /var/log/messages
Jun  4 23:12:16 SONS-SC-CC syslogd: restart
Jun  4 23:12:29 SONS-SC-CC syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Jun  4 23:12:44 SONS-SC-CC syslogd: restart
Jun  5 07:36:13 SONS-SC-CC kernel: in.rshd[5168]: segfault at 00000003
rip 0022E4E5 rsp 0022E454 error 4
Jun  5 07:45:01 SONS-SC-CC kernel: in.rshd[8132]: segfault at 00000003
rip 0022E4E5 rsp 0022E454 error 4

>> Also, we must remember you're on XP (Home?) and I'm on 2003 Server...
> Yes, XP Home at home and XP Pro at work. Same segfault on both.
>
>>> (...) maybe chmod 600
>> Hmmm... I thought that permissions had to be at least o+r
> You are right. I check on my work machine where .rhosts exists and it
> does have permission 644. Sorry.
>> What I'm really doing is mounting //<server>/<share> -> /us (we have
>> /us and /china for US and China users) and then I put /us/adefaria in
>> the home field of /etc/passwd. Interestingly an ls -l of /us shows
>> permissions of 000!
>
> Maybe OK. Cygwin "ls -l" does not show the whole true. I guess Windows
> ACL shows the truth but I try to avoid changing them. Always get a
> feeling of sinking in quicksand.
Another data point I figured out. Currently I can rsh localhost but I
have to supply a password. This works. "rsh localhost id" hangs. If I
add localhost to /etc/hosts.equiv or if I remove the password for the
user I am rsh'ing as, both methods of allowing passwordless login, I get
"Switching to user failed":

[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:rsh localhost
Password:
Last login: Mon Jun  5 07:34:14 from SONS-SC-CC.SALIRA.COM
CYGWIN_NT-5.2 SONS-SC-CC 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin
[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:exit
logout
rlogin: connection closed.
[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:echo "localhost" > /etc/hosts.equiv
[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:rsh localhost
Switching to user ccadmin failed!
rlogin: connection closed.
[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:

Putting "localhost" in ~/.rhosts does nothing - I'm still prompted for a
password.

One interesting thing is that I still do not understand how it works at
all. The inetd service is running as Local System Account. From what
I've read this Local System Account does not have enough privileges on
2003 Server to perform the operation of switching user. Yet in the first
case above it manages to do that. How?

It seems whenever I configure it so allow passwordless login (adding
localhost to /etc/hosts.equiv or removing the password from /etc/passwd)
I fail with "Switching to user failed".

The sshd_server user, created by the ssh-host-config script, should have
enough privileges to switch user so I changed inetd to start through the
sshd_server user. Now I get:

[ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:rsh localhost
Password:
Last login: Mon Jun  5 07:37:15 from SONS-SC-CC.SALIRA.COM
CYGWIN_NT-5.2 SONS-SC-CC 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin
login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied
rlogin: connection closed.

What's the deal here?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
When you open a new bag of cotton balls, are you supposed to throw the

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-06-05 20:44 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-06-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Apparently /dev isn't a file or directory on 2003!

That's very strange as syslogd-config creates the dir and then
tests if it exists.

> Executing syslog hello in another window just gives me a command
> prompt back. Nothing gets written to /var/log/messages!

Normal with no output to the shell.
If no output to messages file then you can try raising the priority (-p).
Also check setting the level in /etc/syslogd.conf.

> Jun 5 07:45:01 SONS-SC-CC kernel: in.rshd[8132]: segfault at 00000003
rip 0022E4E5 rsp 0022E454 error 4

This line proves that syslogd works. Also that we have the same
problem (in.rshd segfault).

> [ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:echo "localhost" > /etc/hosts.equiv
> [ccadmin] sons-sc-cc:rsh localhost
> Switching to user ccadmin failed!
>
> (snip) Yet in the first case above it manages to do that. How?

Beats me. It does not happen to me. But I haven't had time to
try it on 2003 yet.

> login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

Beats me again... sorry.

The only thing I can think of is serious problems with Windows ACL
settings, like in the parent (or grand parent's) folder having a
bad setting that applies recursively...

Or problems with mount points, so that you don't really have /
where you thing (like when /dev does not exist). Does the mounts
exists for all the users?

Or the user is obsoleted in /etc/password (there is a mkpasswd
command one occationally has to run).

Lars

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-06-05  5:36 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-06-05  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Björnfot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> but nothing ever logged anything to /var/log/messages 'cept start and
>> stop messages. ... how do you switch such services to log to there?
> Edit /etc/syslogd.conf to set the log level above which messages are
> included and to which logfile.
>
> I used what the installer gave me, log everything:
> (snip)
> #For a start, use this simplifed approach.
> *.* /var/log/messages
So did I. Failing that I uncommented the rest of them. Still nothing in
/var/log/messages (or any other /var/log file for that matter). Of
course I don't believe I tried rebooting...
> Note that rshd.exe did output anything until the segfault. And it was
> 'kernel' who trapped the segfault and logged it. If you
> get the inetutils sources you can do 'grep syslog rshd.c' to see what
> might appear.
I was hoping to avoid digging in that deeply. Also, we must remember
you're on XP (Home?) and I'm on 2003 Server...
>> Regarding in.rshd dying, I have seen in.rshd.stackdump's around.
> I see the segfault occur in rresvport() which I think is a MS system
> call. Debugging that seems ... well, hard.
>
> Someone in the Cygwin team might have better use of stackdumps...
It'd be better to hear from people who have this working on, in my case,
2003...
>> BTW Lars, how did you get rsh passwordless login configured via .rhosts?
> At my present machine I have no .rhosts. I use /etc/hosts.equiv with a
> single line:
>
> localhost
>
> to grant login from localhost, any user.
>
> On other machines I've used .rhosts and just insert host and username,
> maybe chmod 600.
Hmmm... I thought that permissions had to be at least o+r so that
in.rshd could read the users ~/.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv. Doesn't it
need read access *before* it can determine whether or not the switch
user should be allowed?
>> So while I have what I think is a validly formated ~/.rhosts it's
>> really //<server>/<share>/adefaria/.rhosts.
> My XP Home has benignly set USER=ägare (owner) and keeps it even
> though I changed my Windows name to bjornfot. On this machine I set
> HOME=/c/bjornfot.
>
> When I log in (rsh localhost) I still end up in the default
> /home/$USER. I used hosts.equiv just to avoid managing multiple
> .rhosts.
What I'm really doing is mounting //<server>/<share> -> /us (we have /us
and /china for US and China users) and then I put /us/adefaria in the
home field of /etc/passwd. Interestingly an ls -l of /us shows
permissions of 000!
>> I simply removed the password field in /etc/passwd.
> Hrm, I haven't attempted that ... :-)
I did that because making ~/.rhosts to work was problematic. For some
users it just wouldn't work. For others it would. I think that it was
whether or not the Windows ACLs were set such that Everybody had read
access to the users home directory or not. Never quite nailed that down
though and, of course, some people didn't want everybody to have read
access to their home directories. The workaround that I used was to
remove the passwords in /etc/passwd. However, now, on 2003, that causes
switch user to fail - probably due to 2003's tighter security....
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions,

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-06-04 16:26 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-06-04 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

@ 2006-06-03  0:43 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-06-03  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Björnfot wrote:
>> $ rsh localhost ls HANGS for any command
> Still unsolved but: I noted a SIGSEGV message in the syslog which
> explains why it hangs.
>
> /var/log/messages:
> Jun 2 23:39:12 baloo kernel: in.rshd[3308]: segfault at 00000003 rip
> 0022E4E5 rsp 0022E454 error 4
>
> I downloaded the inetutil sources, added some syslog lines and
> pinpointed the problem to the rresvport() call:
>
> rshd.c:
> s = rresvport(&lport);
>
> rshd crashes on the first attempt, when lport=1023.
You and I are working on similar problems lately. I spent some time
installing syslogd hoping to get more info about this much like you. I
got syslogd installed and running - but nothing ever logged anything to
/var/log/messages 'cept start and stop messages. IOW, with syslogd
running, rsh <machine> put nothing into /var/log/messages. Once syslogd
is up and running, how do you switch such services to log to there?

Regarding in.rshd dying, I have seen in.rshd.stackdump's around.

BTW Lars, how did you get rsh passwordless login configured via .rhosts?
I had done this successfully in the past but I remember having to change
the permissions on my home directory by opening them up a bit (I believe
I needed to add Everybody Read access but I forget - it was a while
ago). Note that we use networked home directories from another server
that is mounted to essentially /home (actually /us). So while I have
what I think is a validly formated ~/.rhosts it's really
//<server>/<share>/adefaria/.rhosts.

Another thing I noticed in my digging around last night - In order to
avoid the complications of having everybody set up their .rhosts
properly and play with permissions, in the past on our old 2000 server I
simply removed the password field in /etc/passwd. This also allows
passwordless logins without having to setup and maintain ~/.rhosts
files. Insecure - I know - but it worked.

Now we are on a 2003 server and it appears security has been tightened
somewhat. Now if I have a user who's password field has been removed and
I try an rsh I get "Switch user <username> failed"! If I put something
the password field I get prompted for a password and rsh works. However
rsh <machine> <command> still fails. It seems clear to me that this is
in or close to the code that is supposed to echo a message "Permission
denied" or whatever error is supposed to be issued when one tries an rsh
with a command but their .rhosts is not set up properly...

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-06-02 22:29 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-06-02 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>  $ rsh localhost ls 	HANGS for any command

Still unsolved but: I noted a SIGSEGV message
in the syslog which explains why it hangs.

/var/log/messages:
Jun  2 23:39:12 baloo kernel: in.rshd[3308]: segfault at 00000003 rip
0022E4E5 rsp 0022E454 error 4

I downloaded the inetutil sources, added some syslog lines
and pinpointed the problem to the rresvport() call:

rshd.c:
			s = rresvport(&lport);

rshd crashes on the first attempt, when lport=1023.

Regards,
Lars

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-05-24 15:29 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-05-24 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> You created? By hand. Or did you use ssh-host-config. Perhaps the sshd
user you created was for privilege separation?

I used ssh-host-config. You're right about sshd too.

> If Local System account is toggle then you are using SYSTEM.

Checked, it's SYSTEM.

>Local:grep -e rsh -e rlogin /etc/inetd.conf
>shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rshd in.rshd -L
>login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rlogind in.rlogind
>Local:ll /usr/sbin/in.r*
>-rwxr-x---+ 1 defaria Users  9728 Jan 13 02:19 /usr/sbin/in.rexecd.exe*
>-rwxr-x---+ 1 defaria Users 11264 Jan 13 02:19 /usr/sbin/in.rlogind.exe*
>-rwxr-x---+ 1 defaria Users 11264 Jan 13 02:19 /usr/sbin/in.rshd.exe*

$ ls -l /usr/sbin/in.r*
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 lars Användare  9728 Jan 13 11:19 /usr/sbin/in.rexecd.exe
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 lars Användare 11264 Jan 13 11:19 /usr/sbin/in.rlogind.exe
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 lars Användare 11264 Jan 13 11:19 /usr/sbin/in.rshd.exe

Just minor diffs and same for all in.* programs.
I tried chmod 750 with no different result.

But I was more thinking if a file which only in.rshd.exe uses,
and potential problems with _it's_ contents or permissions.
Can't think of any such file though.

>You do realize that if you hope to have rsh be able to remotely
>execute a command you need to configure it such that you can login
>without a password (~/.rhosts or remove your password from your entry
>in /etc/passwd).

Yes, and "rsh localhost" lets me in without typing password, using
~/.rhosts .

>Wait a second. This just in. On my XP Pro desktop here at work
>I have the same situation! rsh localhost works but rsh localhost id
>doesn't! What's going on here? rsh localhost prompts me for a password.
>But rsh localhost id just hangs...

With no .rhosts, wrong permission, or wrong content it prompts me for
password (like it should).

Great that it hangs! At least it increases the chance that either of
us finds a solution. :-)

Lars

* Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-05-24  0:23 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-05-24  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Björnfot wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> I have a similar problem. I see you're on Windows 2003 Server. 2003
>> tightened security a bit.
> Actually "Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2".
> But I have a 2003 server which might be a next target...
Silly me. I thought the 5.1 bit indicated 2003. I should have checked.
So then your on XP Pro then not 2003 Server. Sorry.
>> Given the above the cygrunsrv will be running as SYSTEM no? Does
>> SYSTEM have the proper rights?
> I created an 'sshd' user for running the sshd service.
You created? By hand. Or did you use ssh-host-config. Perhaps the sshd
user you created was for privilege separation?
> I thought it was used for any cygrunsrv service. Not sure how to
> verify it.
Start the Services Control Panel applet under Administrative Tools.
Double click the inetd service and then Log On tab. If Local System
account is toggle then you are using SYSTEM. Under Windows XP Pro SYSTEM
has enough privileges to switch user.
> In any case it seems to have proper rights to handle "rsh localhost"
> (run in.rlogin). Then it should have proper rights to handle "rsh
> localhost who" (run in.rshd), I though.
I agree. But apparently it doesn't. Although my problem is with 2003
server I eagerly await any progress you make as it might give me an idea
as to why I'm having a problem too.

@ 2006-05-23 22:33 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-05-23 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>I have a similar problem. I see you're on Windows 2003 Server. 2003
tightened security a bit.

Actually "Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2".
But I have a 2003 server which might be a next target...

>Given the above the cygrunsrv will be running as SYSTEM no? Does SYSTEM
have the proper rights?

I created an 'sshd' user for running the sshd service.
I thought it was used for any cygrunsrv service. Not sure
how to verify it. In any case it seems to have proper rights to

@ 2006-05-23 15:34 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2006-05-23 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lars Björnfot wrote:
> [...]
> Display name        : CYGWIN inetd
> Current State       : Running
> Controls Accepted   : Stop
> Command             : /usr/sbin/inetd -D -d
> stdin path          : /dev/null
> stdout path         : /var/log/inetd.log
> stderr path         : /var/log/inetd.log
> Environment         : CYGWIN="binmode tty ntsec"
> Process Type        : Own Process
> Startup             : Automatic
> Account             : LocalSystem

> 1. rsh with command (in.rshd) - failing case
>
> $ rsh localhost ls
> 		[Hangs]
>
> $ tail -f inetd.log
> someone wants shell
> accept, ctrl 3
> + Closing from 20
> 2148 execl /usr/sbin/in.rshd
> 2148 reaped, status 0x8b		[comes immediately after execl]
>

> $ strace rsh localhost ls > rsh.log
>
> When it hangs I kill the process but these are the final lines:
>
>  5267   38986 [main] rsh 3692 __dup_ent: duping servent "cmd",
> 0x191A4FA8
>   153   39139 [main] rsh 3692 __dup_ent: duped servent "cmd", 0x4B21E0
>    68   39207 [main] rsh 3692 cygwin_getservbyname: 0x4B21E0 =
> getservbyname (sh

> 2. rsh with no command (in.rlogin) - working case
>
> $ rsh localhost
> Last login: Tue May 23 09:57:22 from localhost
> Fanfare!!!
> You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
>

> $ tail -f inetd.log
> someone wants login
> accept, ctrl 3
> + Closing from 20
> 200 execl /usr/sbin/in.rlogind
> 200 reaped, status 0x100		[comes on exit from shell]
>

> $ strace rsh localhost > rlogin.log
>
> Same three lines as above, here it continues "normally".
>
>  5452   12528 [main] rlogin 3636 __dup_ent: duping servent "login",
> 0x186B4FA8
>   138   12666 [main] rlogin 3636 __dup_ent: duped servent "login",
> 0x4B08E0
>    56   12722 [main] rlogin 3636 cygwin_getservbyname: 0x4B08E0 =
> getservbyname (login, tcp)
> [snip]
>

> It seems like inetd is configured ok, permissions are ok etc.
>

> Relevant lines from inetd.conf:
>
> shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rshd in.rshd -L
> login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rlogind in.rlogind
>

> Relevant lines from c:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/services
>
> login             513/tcp                           #Remote Login
> who               513/udp    whod
> cmd               514/tcp    shell
> syslog            514/udp
>

> I have no /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.equiv but I have .rhosts
>
> $ cat ~/.rhosts
> localhost lars
> grizzly lars
>

> I have updated all Cygwin packages to the current, but it didn't help.
>
> "cygcheck -s" is attached.
>
> Any help is apprecieated! I'm out of ideas...

I have a similar problem. I see you're on Windows 2003 Server. 2003
tightened security a bit. Given the above the cygrunsrv will be running
as SYSTEM no? Does SYSTEM have the proper rights?

Question: Since 2003's SYSTEM account doesn't have enough rights to
switch user doesn't sshd, inetd (considering services like rsh, rlogin,
telnet, ftp, etc) and even cron need to switch users thus needs to run
under an account with elevated privileges? The ssh-host-config script
attempts to address this but nothing is done for these other desirable
Cygwin services. Personally I think a new user, shared amongst services
that need such privileges perhaps called daemon should be created and
maybe a general install_services script concocted to handle adding this
common services properly.

I'm struggling with trying to get both sshd and rsh access on a Windows
2003 server (see other thread). Somehow my playing with this apparently
screwed up IPSEC on the server and it wouldn't even boot! For a time I
was able to rsh but not rsh with a command like you. Ssh would attempt
to work but fail trying to load C:\Windows\system32\ws2_32.dll. But
commandless rsh was working. Then it too broke. Now the system's all
messed up. The IPSEC problem has been fixed but I'm not sure what to do.

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do banks charge you a non-sufficient funds fee on money they already

* rsh with command hangs, rlogin works
@ 2006-05-23 11:15 Lars Björnfot
From: Lars Björnfot @ 2006-05-23 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin