* Using ssh with VNC Viewer
@ 2001-09-25  6:24 Keith Starsmeare
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith Starsmeare @ 2001-09-25  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've recently started using AT&T's windows based VNC viewer
( http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc ) and I'm trying to use it with cygwin's
ssh.

I use this command to open the ssh to the remote machine and listen on the
ports documented.

    ssh -v -C -L 5902:edin_kampala:5901 edin_kampala

then I open the vncviewer:

    vncviewer localhost:2

and I get the debug output (because of the -v on the ssh line)

    debug1: Connection to port 5902 forwarding to edin_kampala port 5901
requested.
    debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
    debug1: fd 8 IS O_NONBLOCK
    debug1: channel 2: new [direct-tcpip]
    debug1: channel 2: open confirm rwindow 32768 rmax 16384

so something's working. But I don't get the vncviewer's prompt for a
password.

Has anyone else tried this and got it working? I found one thread recently,
but I couldn't follow it and I wasn't sure if they were using a windows or
cygwin-xfree based vncviewer. I don't really need to use the ssh, but as I'm
all ready connected to the machine using ssh, I thought why not use it for
the vncviewer too!

Regards

Keith

* Re: Using ssh with VNC Viewer
@ 2001-09-25  6:30 ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-09-25  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Starsmeare; +Cc: cygwin

Check out http://tech.erdelynet.com

Mike has a good page about SSH and Cygwin,
and he has a mailing list too. The mailing
list has searchable archives, and I remember
seeing some VNC and SSH related messages lately.

HTH,
Peter

Keith Starsmeare wrote:

> I've recently started using AT&T's windows based VNC viewer
> ( http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc ) and I'm trying to use it with cygwin's
> ssh.
>
> I use this command to open the ssh to the remote machine and listen on the
> ports documented.
>
>     ssh -v -C -L 5902:edin_kampala:5901 edin_kampala
>
> then I open the vncviewer:
>
>     vncviewer localhost:2
>
> and I get the debug output (because of the -v on the ssh line)
>
>     debug1: Connection to port 5902 forwarding to edin_kampala port 5901
> requested.
>     debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
>     debug1: fd 8 IS O_NONBLOCK
>     debug1: channel 2: new [direct-tcpip]
>     debug1: channel 2: open confirm rwindow 32768 rmax 16384
>
> so something's working. But I don't get the vncviewer's prompt for a
> password.
>
> Has anyone else tried this and got it working? I found one thread recently,
> but I couldn't follow it and I wasn't sure if they were using a windows or
> cygwin-xfree based vncviewer. I don't really need to use the ssh, but as I'm
> all ready connected to the machine using ssh, I thought why not use it for
> the vncviewer too!
>
> Regards
>
> Keith
>
> --

* RE: Using ssh with VNC Viewer
@ 2001-09-25  6:40 ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-09-25  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Keith,
  As Peter said, check out http://tech.erdelynet.com/sshvnc.asp (Hi,
Chris... I still haven't had time for much other than work and school).
  The thing's you have to look at are:
    - If edin_kampala is your ssh & vnc server, you'll have to
AllowLoopback on edin_kampala since VNC will "see" the connection coming
from the ssh server.
    - Is the VNC Server really listening on 5901?  If so, then that
should work.  Check out VNC's web pages (using the URL you posted) and
look for the documentation specific to the VNC Server you're running
(you didn't specify).  Also look at
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html .

Good luck,
-ME

@ 2001-09-25  7:00 ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-09-25  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Keith Starsmeare

If you have firewall(s) between you and the other machine, then
your ssh line is slightly incorrect.  It took me two days, and a lot of
reading in the O'Reilly book, "SSH:  The Secure Shell".  It all boils
down to a couple of paragraphs in section 9.2.4.  Also took some
time using the iptraf package, which allowed me to watch the packets
getting thrown around.  Anyway, the upshot is that you need to
change your ssh line to the following:

ssh -v -C -L 5902:localhost:5901 edin_kampala

The basic problem is that ssh is trying to route the connections from the remote
machine back to your edin_kampala machine.  If you have any firewalls
in the way, then those packets never get there.  You have to route them to
localhost, and then ssh takes them back through it's secure pipe.

I also add a -R 5904:localhost:5900, which allows me to use the same
VNC pipe to connect to my work Win2K box from home.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:24:31 +0100, Keith Starsmeare wrote:

>I've recently started using AT&T's windows based VNC viewer
>( http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc ) and I'm trying to use it with cygwin's
>ssh.
>
>I use this command to open the ssh to the remote machine and listen on the
>ports documented.
>
>    ssh -v -C -L 5902:edin_kampala:5901 edin_kampala
>
>then I open the vncviewer:
>
>    vncviewer localhost:2
>
>and I get the debug output (because of the -v on the ssh line)
>
>    debug1: Connection to port 5902 forwarding to edin_kampala port 5901
>requested.
>    debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
>    debug1: fd 8 IS O_NONBLOCK
>    debug1: channel 2: new [direct-tcpip]
>    debug1: channel 2: open confirm rwindow 32768 rmax 16384
>
>so something's working. But I don't get the vncviewer's prompt for a
>password.
>
>Has anyone else tried this and got it working? I found one thread recently,
>but I couldn't follow it and I wasn't sure if they were using a windows or
>cygwin-xfree based vncviewer. I don't really need to use the ssh, but as I'm
>all ready connected to the machine using ssh, I thought why not use it for
>the vncviewer too!
>
>Regards
>
>Keith
>

>--

* Re: Using ssh with VNC Viewer
@ 2001-09-25  7:39   ` Keith Starsmeare
From: Keith Starsmeare @ 2001-09-25  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Erdely; +Cc: cygwin

Excellent site. Just what I needed. I was using the wrong port (I was just
following the example in http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html as I
had my display number set to Auto) and I needed to install your registry
patch on the server to AllowLoopBack.

Thanks for the help!

Keith