* Ubuntu on Windows against Cygwin X server
@ 2016-08-10 15:39 Franz Fehringer
From: Franz Fehringer @ 2016-08-10 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin community,

Is it possible to launch Ubuntu on Windows X11 clients agianst the
Cygwin X11 server?
A first shot was not a success:
franz@FEHRINGER:~$ sudo xdpyinfo -display :0
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".
but on the other hand there are already success stories for U on W
against Xming.
I issued xhost + on the Cygwin side and my account is an Administrator one.
Any hints about this?

Thanks and best regards

Franz

* Re: Ubuntu on Windows against Cygwin X server
@ 2016-08-10 15:54 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-08-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/08/2016 16:46, Franz Fehringer wrote:
> Dear Cygwin community,
>
> Is it possible to launch Ubuntu on Windows X11 clients agianst the
> Cygwin X11 server?
> A first shot was not a success:
> franz@FEHRINGER:~$ sudo xdpyinfo -display :0
> xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".
> but on the other hand there are already success stories for U on W
> against Xming.
> I issued xhost + on the Cygwin side and my account is an Administrator one.
> Any hints about this?
>
> Thanks and best regards
>
> Franz

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-xserver-nolisten-tcp-default

* Re: Ubuntu on Windows against Cygwin X server
@ 2016-08-10 16:05   ` Franz Fehringer
From: Franz Fehringer @ 2016-08-10 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks much better now.
Do you have an additional hint about
(gvim:359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
?
I installed and started (on Cygwin) dbus as a service.

@ 2016-08-10 19:00 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2016-08-10 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/10/2016 10:46 AM, Franz Fehringer wrote:
> Dear Cygwin community,
>
> Is it possible to launch Ubuntu on Windows X11 clients agianst the
> Cygwin X11 server?
> A first shot was not a success:
> franz@FEHRINGER:~$ sudo xdpyinfo -display :0
> xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".
> but on the other hand there are already success stories for U on W
> against Xming.
> I issued xhost + on the Cygwin side and my account is an Administrator one.
> Any hints about this?

Others will know better, but :0 may be trying Unix domain sockets, and
I would not be surprised if UoW and Cygwin do those differently.  Maybe
you should try a TCP/IP connection to the server, e.g., 127.0.0.1:0 or
127.0.0.1:0.0 ?

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: Ubuntu on Windows against Cygwin X server
@ 2016-08-10 21:20     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-08-10 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Fehringer, cygwin

Greetings, Franz Fehringer!

> Thanks much better now.
> Do you have an additional hint about
> (gvim:359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
> did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
> the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
> ?
> I installed and started (on Cygwin) dbus as a service.

The cause is presumable the same. D-Bus listens on unix domain socket by
default.

P.S.
This list is in "no top posting please, thank you" mode.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Ubuntu on Windows against Cygwin X server
@ 2016-08-11  8:09       ` Franz Fehringer
From: Franz Fehringer @ 2016-08-11  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.08.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Franz Fehringer!
>

>> Thanks much better now.
>> Do you have an additional hint about
>> (gvim:359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
>> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
>> did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
>> the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
>> ?
>> I installed and started (on Cygwin) dbus as a service.
>
> The cause is presumable the same. D-Bus listens on unix domain socket by
> default.

I think this is not cygwin related, i have to find some U on W
discussion group.

@ 2016-08-11 12:57       ` Franz Fehringer
From: Franz Fehringer @ 2016-08-11 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.08.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Franz Fehringer!
>

>> Thanks much better now.
>> Do you have an additional hint about
>> (gvim:359): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
>> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
>> did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
>> the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
>> ?
>> I installed and started (on Cygwin) dbus as a service.
>
> The cause is presumable the same. D-Bus listens on unix domain socket by
> default.

You are right, this improves things again. With KDE applications it is
still bumpy (barely usable) but no crash anymore. Gnome applications
seem to work reasonably well.

@ 2016-08-11 14:13   ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2016-08-11 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Marco Atzeri
> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-xserver-nolisten-tcp-default

The target of this link says "See Q: 1.6", which states
"See the DISPLAY NAMES section of man X for more information."

$ man X
No manual entry for X
$ uname -svr
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 2.5.2(0.297/5/3) 2016-06-23 14:29
$ cygcheck -c man-db
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
man-db               2.7.4-1        OK
$

--Ken Nellis

* Re: Ubuntu on Windows against Cygwin X server
@ 2016-08-11 14:14     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-08-11 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/xorg-docs/xorg-docs-1.7.1-1