From: Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Question about tar v1.28
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 03:04:00 -0000	[thread overview]

[reviving an old thread]

On 03/08/2016 05:52 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/08/2016 08:43 AM, Douglas Coup wrote:
>> Hello Cygwin community.
>>
>> I'm observing some unusual behavior with tar v1.28, running as part of
>> 32-bit Cygwin on a Windows 10 machine.
>
> I noticed this in your cygcheck output:
>
>> cygdrive prefix /cygdrive system text,noacl,posix=0,auto
>
> Why are you text-mounting it?  Is your current working directory
> somewhere under that text mount?  It may be a bug in tar's handling of
> text-mounted files (ideally, tar should be reopening everything binary
> in spite of text mounts, but I may have missed a spot).

In fact, I missed LOTS of spots.  My cygwin-specific patches to 1.27
were accidentally not copied to 1.28.  I'm fixing it as part of
packaging 1.29, which should hit mirrors soon.

I'm actually a bit surprised that there were so few reports of this
problem in the meantime (I built 1.28 in May 2015, this report was in
March 2016, and I didn't find much else about it in the meantime).
Maybe that means that text mounts are used much less than they used to
be when I took over building tar in 2005, back when setup.exe used to
have a now-removed option to create text mounts at install time.