From: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin/X XWinrc menu no longer launches after recent updates
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 21:43:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Takashi Yano writes:

> On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 12:40:17 +0000
> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
>> Takashi Yano writes:
>> > This bug was already fixed in current git head.
>>
>> Current git head for Cygwin?  Or mintty?
>
> I mean cygwin.

OK, this is now getting very weird.  As at least one other person
reported, the problem is intermittent, with both my systems, both on
3.1.4 Cygwin and 3.1.4 mintty.

Two further shots in the dark:

 1) I tried to run cygcheck -s while there was an XWin + sh hang, as
    previously reported.  It hung also.  Process Explorer shows

  bash.exe
     bash.exe
        cygcheck.exe
           id.exe

    I can use strace to attach to it, and it is indeed
    [cygdir]\bin\id.exe, showing lots of dll loads, then a thread being
    created and exiting happily, last two lines are

     thread nnn created
     _cygtls::remove: wait 0

  Mystery

  So, try connecting strace to the hung sh process...

  [Nothing :-[

  Connecting to it with gdb shows various threads, but ^C doesn't
  achieve anything.

 2) There are some hints that cygrunsrv/cygserver might be implicated.
    Two cygchecks on one of my machines (which did run to completion)
    differ in that the one taken while XWin had started successfully
    differed from the other in that all my Cygwin services (cron,
    cygserver, sshd, and exim) were stopped,
    In the other, a case of XWin hang, they were all running.

    On my other system after several fails in a row, I stopped all my
    services and XWin launched successfully.

Grasping at straws here, but I have one machine sitting in a hung state,
and other debugging ideas welcome...

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.