* Changes in Network code
@ 2001-02-07 15:37 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just FYI.

I just checked in a change to the Cygwin CVS repository which
changes the internal behaviour of ioctl calls on sockets.

This applies to SIOCGIFADDR, SIOCGIFNETMASK and SIOCGIFBRDADDR.

The old functions used on 9x and NT are now only used on Win95
and NT <= SP3.

The function former used on W2K is completely rewritten to use
the IP Helper API instead of registry access. It's now called
on 98/ME, NT >= SP4 and W2K.

Furthermore, the ioctl calls SIOCGIFHWADDR, SIOCGIFMETRIC and
SIOCGIFMTU are now supported. They are only supported when
using the new function so they are faked on Win95 and NT <= SP3.

And a minor additional change: The loopback interface is now
called "lo" as it is in Linux instead of the former "lo0".

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Changes in Network code
@ 2001-02-08  0:58 ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2001-02-08  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:

> I just checked in a change to the Cygwin CVS repository which
> changes the internal behaviour of ioctl calls on sockets.

<snip/>

Is this likely to impact on the CVS/descriptor is a file not a
socket/VPN interaction problem?  I'm prepared to struggle through
getting my sources up-to-date (not easy, since the whole point is that
CVS to :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygwin.org doesn't work :-( if there's
some expection this will have helped.

Thanks

ht

* Re: Changes in Network code
@ 2001-02-08  1:19   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-08  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 08:58:44AM +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:
>
> > I just checked in a change to the Cygwin CVS repository which
> > changes the internal behaviour of ioctl calls on sockets.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Is this likely to impact on the CVS/descriptor is a file not a
> socket/VPN interaction problem?  I'm prepared to struggle through
> getting my sources up-to-date (not easy, since the whole point is that
> CVS to :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygwin.org doesn't work :-( if there's
> some expection this will have helped.

Probably not. It's only related to `ifconfig' functionality.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Changes in Network code
@ 2001-02-08  5:10   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-08  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry S. Thompson; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:
>
> > I just checked in a change to the Cygwin CVS repository which
> > changes the internal behaviour of ioctl calls on sockets.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Is this likely to impact on the CVS/descriptor is a file not a
> socket/VPN interaction problem?  I'm prepared to struggle through
> getting my sources up-to-date (not easy, since the whole point is that
> CVS to :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygwin.org doesn't work :-( if there's
> some expection this will have helped.

I'm using Cygwin's cvs client to daily update from
:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygwin.org.  What problems are you seeing?

Earnie.

* Re: Changes in Network code
@ 2001-02-12  4:22     ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2001-02-12  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> writes:

> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
> >
> > Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:
> >
> > > I just checked in a change to the Cygwin CVS repository which
> > > changes the internal behaviour of ioctl calls on sockets.
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Is this likely to impact on the CVS/descriptor is a file not a
> > socket/VPN interaction problem?  I'm prepared to struggle through
> > getting my sources up-to-date (not easy, since the whole point is that
> > CVS to :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygwin.org doesn't work :-( if there's
> > some expection this will have helped.
> >

> I'm using Cygwin's cvs client to daily update from
> :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygwin.org.  What problems are you seeing?

The interaction between sockets and VPN which first surfaced in 1999
has bit me -- see the thread with title

    CVS :pserver: bug -- can't get winsup from Win2k + Cygwin 1.1.8-2

from a week/10 days ago.

ht