* setup 2.925 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-02-02 14:00 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-02-02 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new setup release candidate is available at:

  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.925.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.925.x86.exe    (32 bit version)

Please test, and report any problems here.

This is not the place for setup feature requests.

Changes compared to 2.924:

- Show a deprecation warning for Windows 6.1 and 6.2

Show a warning if we're running on a Windows version for which support
was deprecated in Cygwin 3.4, i.e:

Windows 6.1 (Windows 7, Windows Server 2008R2)
Windows 6.2 (Windows 8, Windows Server 2012).

- Ignore attempts to select the reinstall action, if the installed
version is not accessible (e.g. reinstall is run from local directory
but the package is no longer cached) (thanks to Christian Franke)

- Add an '(x86_64)' suffix to start menu folders names when installing
x86_64 Cygwin on some other architecture (e.g ARM64).

- Various fixes around "All Users/"Just For Me" (thanks to Christian
Franke for investigating these problems):

-- Fix a long-standing bug (since 2012), where installed files are owned
by the user's primary group, rather than the Adminstrators group, when
installing for "All Users".
-- We no longer change group back to the user's primary group while
running postinstall scripts, when installing for "All Users". This was
only for the benefit of mkgroup/mkpasswd being run by the postinstall
script, which we don't do any more.
-- Fix "Just For Me" being ignored, when run with Admininstrator privileges
-- Fix "All Users" being selectable but basically ineffectual, when not
run with Admininstrator privileges

- Fix a bug in handling (documented, but as yet unused) 'Source:' lines
in setup.ini.

- Add an experimental zn_CN GUI translation, contributed via weblate by
Xiang Heng Wei

- Various internal fixes to Unicode handling in GUI to support that.

For instructions on obtaining and building the source code for setup,
see https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.

* Re: setup 2.925 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-04-15 15:03   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2023-04-15 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin

Greetings, Marco Atzeri!

> On 14.04.2023 17:29, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
>> > A new setup release candidate is available at:
>> >   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>>
> just as info,
> Avira Antivirus just decided that Setup and Mintty are dangerous

Each new file named "setup" is considered "dangerous" these days.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: setup 2.925 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-04-14 19:28 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-14 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14/04/2023 16:29, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>
> Please test, and report any problems here.

Subject should read "setup 2.926 ...", of course.

* Re: setup 2.925 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-04-14 19:12 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2023-04-14 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14.04.2023 17:29, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86.exe    (32 bit version)

just as info,
Avira Antivirus just decided that Setup and Mintty are dangerous

Regards
Marco

* setup 2.925 release candidate - please test
@ 2023-04-14 15:29 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-14 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new setup release candidate is available at:

  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.926.x86.exe    (32 bit version)

Please test, and report any problems here.

Changes compared to 2.925:

- Add some resilience against transient errors when reading files from
the local package cache, as can occasionally happen when it resides on a
network filesystem (thanks to Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix reinstall via command line (thanks to Bill Stewart for helping to
identify this is a regression in 2.919)
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-March/253352.html

- Translation updates.

- Add a link to translation website on splash page

- Add a tooltip to the additional site textbox and extend '--site' help
text to indicate that 'site' can also be specified by a path or UNC
path, as well as a URL.

Replies to this message are not the place for setup feature requests.