From: Chris Wagner <wagnerc@plebeian.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com, akiki@free.fr
Subject: Re: bug with grep 3.0.2 in cygwin 3.0.7
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:42:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2019-08-28 3:16 am, akiki@free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
> I encounter some problem with grep option -E on cygwin 3.0.7
>

> echo "a^b" | grep "a^b" #answer a^b ie it's OK
> but
> echo "a^b" | grep -E "a^b" #answer nothing " for me it's KO
>

> I have to backslash ^ to be OK like : grep -E 'a\^b'
>

> Is-it a bug ?
> I don't know if all versions of cygwin and grep are concerned.

Hi Akiki.  As others mentioned, it has to do with how regular
expressions operate.  However the best solution for you in this
situation is to not use regular expressions.  To search for fixed
strings, use fgrep or grep -F.  That avoids all issues with meta
characters and covers the vast majority of cases when we use grep
anyway.

To use full power regular expressions read perlre and use grep -P.

Thanks.