* Starting native windows GUI app via ssh.
@ 2007-12-17 21:26 Clayton Holloway
From: Clayton Holloway @ 2007-12-17 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is it at all possible to start a native windows application(GUI) via ssh
and have it actually appear on the windows box?

No matter what app I run via ssh (firefox, notepad, etc) the process is
listed in the task manager, but is nowhere to be found on the screen. If
X were in use here, I'd just set the DISPLAY variable, but afaik windows
won't use a DISPLAY.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

* Re: Starting native windows GUI app via ssh.
@ 2007-12-17 21:32 ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2007-12-17 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 17, 2007 3:20 PM, Clayton Holloway <clayton.holloway@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it at all possible to start a native windows application(GUI) via ssh
> and have it actually appear on the windows box?
>
> No matter what app I run via ssh (firefox, notepad, etc) the process is
> listed in the task manager, but is nowhere to be found on the screen. If
> X were in use here, I'd just set the DISPLAY variable, but afaik windows
> won't use a DISPLAY.
>
> Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

You need to install the cygwin ssh service with the "Interact with
desktop" option enabled.

* Re: Starting native windows GUI app via ssh.
@ 2007-12-17 23:53   ` Roger Wells
From: Roger Wells @ 2007-12-17 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A few weeks I asked for help with the same problem.  The advice that
worked (I think)  was to be sure that the installation of sshd was such
that it is allowed to interact with the desktop.
In any case I have it working in my situation so let me know if you need
more help.
HTH

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 3:20 PM, Clayton Holloway <clayton.holloway@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it at all possible to start a native windows application(GUI) via ssh
>> and have it actually appear on the windows box?
>>
>> No matter what app I run via ssh (firefox, notepad, etc) the process is
>> listed in the task manager, but is nowhere to be found on the screen. If
>> X were in use here, I'd just set the DISPLAY variable, but afaik windows
>> won't use a DISPLAY.
>>
>> Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> You need to install the cygwin ssh service with the "Interact with
> desktop" option enabled.
>
> --

Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)
roger.k.wells@saic.com

* Re: Starting native windows GUI app via ssh.
@ 2007-12-18  0:29     ` Clayton Holloway
From: Clayton Holloway @ 2007-12-18  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sounds good to me.
I doubt this is a standard ssh option so I wouldn't know what to add in
the config.

Would you mind pasting the config that enables this or, if you don't
remember which config option it is, the whole sshd_config.

Thanks.  :)

@ 2007-12-18  2:26       ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2007-12-18  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Clayton Holloway wrote:
> Sounds good to me.
> I doubt this is a standard ssh option so I wouldn't know what to add in
> the config.
>
> Would you mind pasting the config that enables this or, if you don't
> remember which config option it is, the whole sshd_config.

I believe they are referring to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools ->  Services:

Depending on windows version there might not be a need for administrative
functions above but once in services - look at the sshd services options
and on tab 2 (log in) there will be a check box for interact for desktop.

bk

* Re: Starting native windows GUI app via ssh.
@ 2007-12-18  4:36         ` Clayton Holloway
From: Clayton Holloway @ 2007-12-18  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sweet, it worked.
....and to think it was something as simple as a check box in a windows
dialog box.

thanks

@ 2007-12-18 19:33           ` cuicui
From: cuicui @ 2007-12-18 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Clayton Holloway a écrit :
> Brian Keener wrote:
>> Clayton Holloway wrote:
>>> Sounds good to me. I doubt this is a standard ssh option so I
>>> wouldn't know what to add in the config.
>>>
>>> Would you mind pasting the config that enables this or, if you
>>> don't remember which config option it is, the whole sshd_config.
>>
>> I believe they are referring to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
>> -> Administrative Tools ->  Services:
>>
>> Depending on windows version there might not be a need for
>> administrative functions above but once in services - look at the
>> sshd services options and on tab 2 (log in) there will be a check
>> box for interact for desktop.
>
> Sweet, it worked. ....and to think it was something as simple as a
> check box in a windows dialog box.

And if you're a more "registry" kind of person or if you want to script
it, this is the value to alter:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sshd]
"Type"=dword:00000110

Cheers,

Nicolas