* auto complete history
@ 2008-05-11  2:21 Robert Bram
From: Robert Bram @ 2008-05-11  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All,

In a previous installation of Cygwin, I had 'history auto complete'
in so far as I could type a letter, press the up key and the prompt
would cycle through the most recent entries in history whose first
letter matches the letter I typed. On my newest install, this feature
isn't present. Can anyone please let me know how to put it in place?

Thanks!
Rob
:)

--

General Blog: http://robertmarkbram.blogspot.com/
Technical Blog: http://robertmarkbramprogrammer.blogspot.com/

* Re: auto complete history
@ 2008-05-12  7:19 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-05-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Robert Bram (Sun, 11 May 2008 11:05:38 +1000)
> In a previous installation of Cygwin, I had 'history auto complete' in
> so far as I could type a letter, press the up key and the prompt would
> cycle through the most recent entries in history whose first letter
> matches the letter I typed. On my newest install, this feature isn't
> present. Can anyone please let me know how to put it in place?

Depends on your shell. In Zsh it would be...

    bindkey '\e[A'  history-beginning-search-backward
    bindkey '\e[B'  history-beginning-search-forward

and in Bash...

    "\e[A":  history-search-backward
    "\e[B":  history-search-forward

Put these in your .zshrc or .inputrc.

Thorsten

* Re: auto complete history
@ 2008-05-12  9:01   ` Robert Bram
From: Robert Bram @ 2008-05-12  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you Thorsten

>> In a previous installation of Cygwin, I had 'history auto complete' in
> Depends on your shell. In Zsh it would be...
> and in Bash...
>    "\e[A":  history-search-backward
>    "\e[B":  history-search-forward
> Put these in your .zshrc or .inputrc.

I also needed this in my .bashrc, and the above works. Thank you!

export INPUTRC=$HOME/.inputrc

Rob
:)

* Re: auto complete history
@ 2008-05-12  9:18     ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-05-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Robert Bram (Mon, 12 May 2008 17:18:40 +1000)
> >> In a previous installation of Cygwin, I had 'history auto complete' in
> > Depends on your shell. In Zsh it would be...
> > and in Bash...
> >    "\e[A":  history-search-backward
> >    "\e[B":  history-search-forward
> > Put these in your .zshrc or .inputrc.
>
> I also needed this in my .bashrc, and the above works. Thank you!
>
> export INPUTRC=$HOME/.inputrc

That's already the default so it doesn't do anything.

Thorsten