* sshd not accessible from outside my machine
@ 2008-07-14  0:09 Nathan Salwen
From: Nathan Salwen @ 2008-07-14  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I installed openssh, openssl, libwrap0 and tcp_wrappers using Cygwin
Setup,  openssh is version 5.0p1-1 and openssl is version 0.9.8h-1.  I
can ssh to other boxes and I can ssh to myself after typing "net start
sshd" but I cannot ssh from other boxes to this box.  When I try that
I get a "Connection timed out" error.

I looked on the mailing list and checked around with google but am
surprised that I seem to be the only one to have this problem.  I am
runnig Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks,
Nathan

* Re: sshd not accessible from outside my machine
@ 2008-07-14  1:59 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2008-07-14  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nathan Salwen wrote:

> I installed openssh, openssl, libwrap0 and tcp_wrappers using Cygwin
> Setup,  openssh is version 5.0p1-1 and openssl is version 0.9.8h-1.  I
> can ssh to other boxes and I can ssh to myself after typing "net start
> sshd" but I cannot ssh from other boxes to this box.  When I try that
> I get a "Connection timed out" error.
[snip]
> runnig Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

Assuming "other boxes" are on the same LAN... add sshd.exe to Windows'
Firewall Exceptions or disable the firewall.

If "other boxes" are in the Internet... open the port on your gateway,
and map the port if using NAT.  Also the daemon executable to your
machine Windows firewall or disable it.

BTW sshd has tcp_wrappers support built it, no need to install libwrap
or the whole package unless you intend to build openssh (or anything
else with tcp_wrappers support, like exim or vsftp) yourself.
--
René Berber