* Re: Reliably check if we're running under cygwin inside Makefile
@ 2009-01-12 19:06 Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2009-01-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin ML; +Cc: Fergus

 > osname := $(shell uname -s)
 > osver := $(shell uname -r)
 > cpuarch := $(shell uname -m)

Probably the fault is mine but I can't get this to do anything useful in
Cygwin. You could try (something like):

   case `uname` in
   *CYGWIN*)
     OS=Cygwin
     ;;
   *Darwin*)
     OS=Darwin
     ;;
   *)
     OS=Linux
     ;;
   esac

and then try things like

   if [ ${OS} == "Linux" ]
   then
   ..
   fi

Fergus

* Re: Reliably check if we're running under cygwin inside Makefile
@ 2009-01-12 20:10 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-01-12 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Fergus

Fergus wrote:
>  > osname := $(shell uname -s)
>  > osver := $(shell uname -r)
>  > cpuarch := $(shell uname -m)
>
> Probably the fault is mine but I can't get this to do anything useful in
> Cygwin. You could try (something like):
>
>   case `uname` in

  Hmm, did you try those first examples in bash before deciding they didn't
work?  Because your alternative proposal looks a lot like shell script...

  Perhaps you need to read the subject line again!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Reliably check if we're running under cygwin inside Makefile
@ 2009-01-12 21:52 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-12 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-01-12, Fergus <fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > osname := $(shell uname -s)
> > osver := $(shell uname -r)
> > cpuarch := $(shell uname -m)
>
> Probably the fault is mine but I can't get this to do anything useful in
> Cygwin. You could try (something like):
>
>    case `uname` in
>    *CYGWIN*)
>      OS=Cygwin
>      ;;
>    *Darwin*)
>      OS=Darwin
>      ;;
>    *)
>      OS=Linux
>      ;;
>    esac
>
> and then try things like
>
>    if [ ${OS} == "Linux" ]
>    then
>    ..
>    fi

That looks like shell to me.  I thought the OP was asking for
something to use in a Makefile.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! MERYL STREEP is my
                                  at               obstetrician!

* Re: Reliably check if we're running under cygwin inside Makefile
@ 2009-01-12 16:19 ` Greg Chicares
From: Greg Chicares @ 2009-01-12 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-01-12 12:19Z, Eric Lilja wrote:
> Hello, I have a program that will built both under fedora and under
> cygwin. The program is written in C and the Makefile is slightly
> different between the two systems. Is it possible to check some
> environment variable in the makefile to determine what to do?

Not really Cygwin specific, but here's a common method:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2006-12/msg00065.html

* Reliably check if we're running under cygwin inside Makefile
@ 2009-01-12 12:48 Eric Lilja
From: Eric Lilja @ 2009-01-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello, I have a program that will built both under fedora and under
cygwin. The program is written in C and the Makefile is slightly
different between the two systems. Is it possible to check some
environment variable in the makefile to determine what to do?

The source code itself have constructs like these for parts that differ
between cygwin and fedora:
#if defined __CYGWIN__
    /* Turn on vsync, this works on Cygwin. */
    SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL, 1);
#elif defined __linux
    /* Fedora doesn't support SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL, but we use this
extension instead. */
    SDL_putenv("__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1");
#endif

and I'm looking for something similiar to use with the Makefiles so I
can turn the two Makefiles into one.

I hope this is considered on-topic, if not, I apologise.

- EL