* setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-13 21:21 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-13 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm tyring to build setup 2.573.2.3, but the configure always
fails like this:

   checking whether padlock support is requested... yes
   checking for gpg-error-config... (cached) /home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake --dir=/home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3
   checking for GPG Error - version >= 1.4... ./configure: line 23286: /home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake: No such file or directory
   no
   configure: error: libgpg-error is needed.
                   See ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libgpg-error/ .
   configure: error: ./configure failed for libgcrypt

libgcrypt, libgcrypt-devel, libgcrypt11, and libgpg-error are
all installed.

   $ gpg-error-config --version
   1.6
   $ libgcrypt-config --version
   1.4.1

Does anybody understand why the configure is failing?

It appears that setup.exe includes it's own private copy of
libgcrypt, and it thinks there's supposed to be a file named
setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake and it can't find it?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Don't SANFORIZE me!!
                                  at

* Re: setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-13 21:39 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-13 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-01-13, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> I'm tyring to build setup 2.573.2.3, but the configure always
> fails like this:
>

>    checking whether padlock support is requested... yes
>    checking for gpg-error-config... (cached) /home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake --dir=/home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3
>    checking for GPG Error - version >= 1.4... ./configure: line 23286: /home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake: No such file or directory
>    no
>    configure: error: libgpg-error is needed.
>                    See ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libgpg-error/ .
>    configure: error: ./configure failed for libgcrypt
>
> libgcrypt, libgcrypt-devel, libgcrypt11, and libgpg-error are
> all installed.
>
>    $ gpg-error-config --version
>    1.6
>    $ libgcrypt-config --version
>    1.4.1
>
> Does anybody understand why the configure is failing?
>
> It appears that setup.exe includes it's own private copy of
> libgcrypt, and it thinks there's supposed to be a file named
> setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake and it can't find it?

AFAICT, somebody removed the file gpg-error-config-fake
claiming it wasn't needed anymore:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps-cvs/2008-q2/msg00038.html

Except that it was needed.

Can somebody loan me hint on how to go about building 2.573.2.3?

(or any other snapshot that is likely to work?)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
                                  at               be flung by members of

* Re: setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-13 22:43   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-01-13 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-01-13, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I'm tyring to build setup 2.573.2.3, but the configure always
>> fails like this:
>>

>>    checking whether padlock support is requested... yes
>>    checking for gpg-error-config... (cached)
>> /home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake --dir=/home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3
>>    checking for GPG Error - version >= 1.4... ./configure: line 23286:
>> /home/grante/setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake: No such file or directory
>>    no
>>    configure: error: libgpg-error is needed.
>>                    See ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libgpg-error/ .
>>    configure: error: ./configure failed for libgcrypt

  That's definitely a bit odd:

/tmp/setup-2.573.2.3/setup-2.573.2.3 $ wc -l ./configure
21895 ./configure

The error message appears to come from a couple of thousand lines after the EOF!

>> libgcrypt, libgcrypt-devel, libgcrypt11, and libgpg-error are
>> all installed.

  Yep, but as you correctly infer later, they aren't used.

>> Does anybody understand why the configure is failing?
>>
>> It appears that setup.exe includes it's own private copy of
>> libgcrypt, and it thinks there's supposed to be a file named
>> setup-2.573.2.3/gpg-error-config-fake and it can't find it?
>
> AFAICT, somebody removed the file gpg-error-config-fake
> claiming it wasn't needed anymore:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps-cvs/2008-q2/msg00038.html
>
> Except that it was needed.

  That's a red herring; take a closer look at the full history:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/setup/gpg-error-config-fake?cvsroot=cygwin-apps

  First off, that removal you cited was from mainline rather than the release
branch.  Second, it was done after applying a patch that did indeed obviate
the need for it: see r2.23 of configure.in, applied 5 minutes earlier.

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/setup/configure.in?cvsroot=cygwin-apps

  And third, I reverted both patches a few hours later after it turned out to
cause libgcrypt to get rebuilt every time you did "make" even when nothing had
changed.

  Looking in the snapshot tarball, it seems that configure.in does indeed
have the original (unpatched or reverted) code, so why doesn't it have the
gpg-error-config-fake script as well?  I went digging in the source directory
where I originally built the tarball that's currently on the cygwin website,
and the file is there in the sources, but it's not in the generated tarball!

  It turns out that adding files to the sources doesn't automatically cause
them to end up in the source tarball; you need to list them explicitly.  That
happens for you if they're C or C++ source or header files, but not for shell
scripts.  Argh, my bad!  Thanks for spotting it.

> Can somebody loan me hint on how to go about building 2.573.2.3?
>
> (or any other snapshot that is likely to work?)

  You can download a copy from the sourceware CVS repository via the web
interface here:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/setup/gpg-error-config-fake?cvsroot=cygwin-apps

and drop it in with the rest of the sources.  Or you can hang around a while,
and I'll upload a fixed tarball.  (I'll just manually add the missing stuff
and re-upload it).

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-13 23:03     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-13 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-01-13, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

>   Looking in the snapshot tarball, it seems that configure.in does indeed
> have the original (unpatched or reverted) code, so why doesn't it have the
> gpg-error-config-fake script as well?  I went digging in the source directory
> where I originally built the tarball that's currently on the cygwin website,
> and the file is there in the sources, but it's not in the generated tarball!

I know that feeling...

>   It turns out that adding files to the sources doesn't automatically cause
> them to end up in the source tarball; you need to list them explicitly.  That
> happens for you if they're C or C++ source or header files, but not for shell
> scripts.  Argh, my bad!  Thanks for spotting it.

[...]

>   You can download a copy from the sourceware CVS repository via the web
> interface here:
>
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/setup/gpg-error-config-fake?cvsroot=cygwin-apps
>
> and drop it in with the rest of the sources.

I grabbed a copy out of CVS, and it built fine and is working.

> Or you can hang around a while, and I'll upload a fixed
> tarball.  (I'll just manually add the missing stuff and
> re-upload it).

Thanks, I'm set.  I guess nobody else builds their own
setup.exe. :)

Now to test the version that defaults to "local-install"...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I like the way ONLY
                                  at               their mouths move ...  They

* Re: setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-13 23:13       ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-13 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-01-13, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> On 2009-01-13, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking in the snapshot tarball, it seems that configure.in
>> does indeed have the original (unpatched or reverted) code, so
>> why doesn't it have the gpg-error-config-fake script as well?
>> I went digging in the source directory where I originally
>> built the tarball that's currently on the cygwin website, and
>> the file is there in the sources, but it's not in the
>> generated tarball!
>
> I know that feeling...
>
>> It turns out that adding files to the sources doesn't
>> automatically cause them to end up in the source tarball; you
>> need to list them explicitly.  That happens for you if they're
>> C or C++ source or header files, but not for shell scripts.
>> Argh, my bad!  Thanks for spotting it.
>
> [...]
>
>> You can download a copy from the sourceware CVS repository via
>> the web interface here:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/setup/gpg-error-config-fake?cvsroot=cygwin-apps
>>
>> and drop it in with the rest of the sources.
>
> I grabbed a copy out of CVS, and it built fine and is working.

Just for the sake of documenting what didn't work, I also tried
deleting the usage of the "fake" config utility from the
configure script, and that failed because it then used the
cygwin system's already-installed gpg-error libraries.  Those
are "Cygwin" libraries and what's required are "Mingw"
libraries, so the final linking step failed.  That's pretty
much what I had expected since setup.exe isn't a Cygwin
application.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm encased in the
                                  at               lining of a pure pork

* Re: setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-14  0:16       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-01-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-01-13, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Or you can hang around a while, and I'll upload a fixed
>> tarball.  (I'll just manually add the missing stuff and
>> re-upload it).

  Now done.

http://cygwin.com/setup/snapshots/setup-2.573.2.3.tar.bz2

(I also updated the ../current/ directory while I was at it, which was
another thing I forgot at the time.)

> Thanks, I'm set.  I guess nobody else builds their own
> setup.exe. :)

  I'm a little surprised it took this long for anyone to notice!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup 2.573.2.3 configure fails libgpg-error/libgcrypt
@ 2009-01-14  3:26         ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-14  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2009-01-13, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, I'm set.  I guess nobody else builds their own
>> setup.exe. :)
>
>   I'm a little surprised it took this long for anyone to notice!

You can take that as a compliment: the program evidently works
so well that only the rare oddballs like me feel the need to
mess with it.

FWIW, I changed source.cc to default to "CWD" as the source so
that my CD-based install will "just work" without the user
having to click anything other than next/finish.  I've found
that requiring anything else of users will cause problems.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Eisenhower!!  Your
                                  at               mimeograph machine upsets