* installing openssh
@ 2010-04-05  0:56 T T
From: T T @ 2010-04-05  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Sorry if the question seems dummy but I really can't figure that out.

It says in the user guide: "You may search for specfic tools by using the Setup Package Search (http://cygwin.com/packages/) at the Cygwin web site". I want to install openssh but it isn't in the version, the latest, that I downloaded. It does however appear on the website, but there seems to be no way to download any files...
it's here: http://cygwin.com/packages/openssh/
What are we suppose to do from here? Clicking only displays a list of file names.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Anthony

http://www.flickr.com/gift/

* Re: installing openssh
@ 2010-04-05  1:13 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-04-05  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 05:56:17PM -0700, T T wrote:
>Sorry if the question seems dummy but I really can't figure that out.
>
>It says in the user guide: "You may search for specfic tools by using
>the Setup Package Search (http://cygwin.com/packages/) at the Cygwin
>web site".  I want to install openssh but it isn't in the version, the
>latest, that I downloaded.  It does however appear on the website, but
>there seems to be no way to download any files...  it's here:
>http://cygwin.com/packages/openssh/
>
>What are we suppose to do from here?  Clicking only displays a list of
>file names.

Look at the main page "Installing and Updating Cygwin and its Packages".

* Re: installing openssh
@ 2010-04-05  1:18   ` T T
From: T T @ 2010-04-05  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for the response,
but unless I misunderstand it, it describes how to proceed with packages that are available locally. openssh does not show on the list when I run setup.exe.
Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Anthony

@ 2010-04-05  3:19     ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-04-05  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

T T wrote:
> Thanks for the response,
> but unless I misunderstand it, it describes how to proceed with packages that are available locally. openssh does not show on the list when I run setup.exe.
> Am I missing something?
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Are you referring to the page at http://www.cygwin.com?  If so, you
probably misunderstand the instructions on the page, how to use
setup.exe, or both.  In order to install any package available within
the Cygwin repository, you need to use setup.exe, so start by by first
downloading (http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe) and running that.

While navigating the setup.exe interface, you'll eventually be presented
with options to download package files to a local directory, install
using package files from a local directory, or install from the Internet
which is essentially a combination of the first two.  It sounds like
you're selecting to install from a local directory.  You need to make
sure that you select to install from the Internet; otherwise, you're
likely only only to have a small subset of the possible packages
available to you.

Next, you need to select at least one Cygwin repository mirror server.
How to choose which server is up to you.  If you find that a mirror is
slow or does not contain a complete list of packages, back up in the
setup process and select a different mirror server.

Once you get to the package selection page, select to install the
openssh package.  It's in the Net category, or you can search for it by
entering the name in the edit box near the top of the window.

-Jeremy

* Re: installing openssh
@ 2010-04-05  5:54     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-04-05  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/04/2010 06:17 PM, T T wrote:

> Thanks for the response,
> but unless I misunderstand it, it describes how to proceed with packages that are available locally. openssh does not show on the list when I run setup.exe.
> Am I missing something?

Yes you are. OpenSSH is not set to install by default. So it's listed as
"Skip". You need to change that "Skip" to a version number by clicking
on it. When in the package selection screen click on the View button
until you get to the Not Installed section, then scroll down and find
OpenSSH and toggle Skip to a version number. Then install that.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
When there's a will, I want to be in it.