* cygwin case-sensitivity: more picky than linux, by default/w no option?
@ 2010-07-14  6:34 Linda Walsh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Linda Walsh @ 2010-07-14  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

How many different versions of 'man' are there, anyway?

I've always wondered why cygwin's was so different from the few
linux versions I've seen -- bug especially in this sense.

How is it that cygwin's manpages are case sensitive?  Aren't they
stored in files on a case-insensitive file system that should be able
to find file-based man pages no matter what case you type in?

The reason I ask, is that on linux, not only does the man program
have a "-i" option to ignore case, but its also the default!

So maybe cygwin could catchup to linux in this regard and go for
ease of use?

From the SuSE linux manpage for "man", regarding the "-i" option.

       -i, --ignore-case
              Ignore case when  searching  for  manual  pages.
              This  is  the default.

But cygwin, it's not even an option to ignore case?
I'm almost wondering if someone switched the man programs on the
two OS's...;-)

Very weird.
Think it's possible to get the cygwin version 'enhanced'?

* Re: cygwin case-sensitivity: more picky than linux, by default/w no  option?
@ 2010-07-14  7:44 ` Huang Bambo
From: Huang Bambo @ 2010-07-14  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin is more like RedHat than Suse and there's many diffirence
between diffirent linuxes

@ 2010-07-14  8:03 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2010-07-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Think it's possible to get the cygwin version 'enhanced'?

Sure it is, but:
http://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI

* Re: cygwin case-sensitivity: more picky than linux, by default/w no option?
@ 2010-07-14 11:25 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2010-07-14 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Linda Walsh (Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:44:24 -0700)
> How many different versions of 'man' are there, anyway?
>
> I've always wondered why cygwin's was so different from the few linux
> versions I've seen -- bug especially in this sense.

That's because you've seen only a few Linux versions.

> How is it that cygwin's manpages are case sensitive?

Man pages are neither case sensitive nor case insensitive.

> The reason I ask, is that on linux, not only does the man program have
> a "-i" option to ignore case, but its also the default!

Definitely not.

> So maybe cygwin could catchup to linux in this regard and go for
> ease of use?
>
> From the SuSE linux manpage for "man", regarding the "-i" option.

That is SUSE Linux specific.

> But cygwin, it's not even an option to ignore case?
> I'm almost wondering if someone switched the man programs on the
> two OS's...;-)

Cygwin is not an OS and neither is SUSE Linux.

> Very weird.
> Think it's possible to get the cygwin version 'enhanced'?

Cygwin, Mac OS and some Linux distributions (like Gentoo and Red Hat)
use a different implementation than SUSE, Debian and Ubuntu[1]. It's
just that simple.

Thorsten
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_page#External_links