* Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-01 14:19 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-08-01 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Selection by Ctrl-Left/Right/Down work properly.
But for Ctrl-Up Emacs say:

   <select> is undefined

Also I have trouble with <C-backspace>. Emacs think that
I press <undo>.

I use GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of 2009-07-30
with CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.1(0.218/5/3) 2009-12-07.

All other keys that I use work correctly (as in Emacs NT).

--
Best regards!

* Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-01 15:17 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2010-08-01 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/1/2010 10:18 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> Selection by Ctrl-Left/Right/Down work properly.
> But for Ctrl-Up Emacs say:
>
>     <select>  is undefined

I can't reproduce this.  If it still happens after you update your
Cygwin installation (see below), please give a step-by-step recipe for
reproducing the problem.  Make sure to start emacs with 'emacs -Q'.

> Also I have trouble with<C-backspace>. Emacs think that
> I press<undo>.

I think this is a mintty issue.  I'll let Andy comment.

> I use GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of 2009-07-30
> with CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.1(0.218/5/3) 2009-12-07.

Your Cygwin installation is out of date.  Emacs is at 23.2, and cygwin
is at 1.7.5.

Ken

* Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-02 11:37   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-02 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1 August 2010 16:17, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/1/2010 10:18 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>>
>> Selection by Ctrl-Left/Right/Down work properly.
>> But for Ctrl-Up Emacs say:
>>
>>    <select>  is undefined
>
> I can't reproduce this.  If it still happens after you update your Cygwin
> installation (see below), please give a step-by-step recipe for reproducing
> the problem.

Looks like Oleksandr meant Shift- rather than Ctrl-, because I do get
the "<select> is undefined" message with Shift-Up. Same thing happens
in xterm, so I don't know what's up with that.

>> Also I have trouble with<C-backspace>. Emacs think that
>> I press<undo>.
>
> I think this is a mintty issue.  I'll let Andy comment.

Unfortunately terminals don't have a standard keycode for
Ctrl+Backspace, hence in emacs it won't do what's expected in any of
them. In rxvt, it sends the same as plain Backspace. In xterm, it
sends ^H, which will invoke the help. In mintty, it sends ^_ (i.e.
0x1F), which will indeed invoke Undo.

This could be addressed by using the 'modifyOtherKeys' mode introduced
by xterm. This is enabled with '\e[>4;1m' and disabled with '\e[>4n'.
Apart from Backspace, it affects modifier combinations with Enter,
Tab, as well as number and symbol keys.

With modifyOtherKeys mode enabled, Ctrl+Backspace sends the following
keycode: '\e[127;5u'. (The 127 is the decimal ASCII code for ^?,
whereas the 5 indicates the Ctrl.)

I'm afraid I don't know how this could be put to use in emacs.

Andy

* Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-02 14:09     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2010-08-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/2/2010 7:37 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 1 August 2010 16:17, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 8/1/2010 10:18 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Selection by Ctrl-Left/Right/Down work properly.
>>> But for Ctrl-Up Emacs say:
>>>
>>>     <select>    is undefined
>>
>> I can't reproduce this.  If it still happens after you update your Cygwin
>> installation (see below), please give a step-by-step recipe for reproducing
>> the problem.
>
> Looks like Oleksandr meant Shift- rather than Ctrl-, because I do get
> the "<select>  is undefined" message with Shift-Up. Same thing happens
> in xterm, so I don't know what's up with that.

OK, I can reproduce that too.  On the other hand, emacs running under
X11 does recognize Shift-Up.

>>> Also I have trouble with<C-backspace>. Emacs think that
>>> I press<undo>.
>>
>> I think this is a mintty issue.  I'll let Andy comment.
>
> Unfortunately terminals don't have a standard keycode for
> Ctrl+Backspace, hence in emacs it won't do what's expected in any of
> them. In rxvt, it sends the same as plain Backspace. In xterm, it
> sends ^H, which will invoke the help. In mintty, it sends ^_ (i.e.
> 0x1F), which will indeed invoke Undo.

Again, emacs running under X11 recognizes the Ctrl-backspace keypress.
I guess the bottom line is that emacs runs best under X11.

Ken

* Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-04 19:08       ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-04 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2 August 2010 15:09, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/2/2010 7:37 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:

>>> I can't reproduce this.  If it still happens after you update your Cygwin
>>> installation (see below), please give a step-by-step recipe for
>>> reproducing
>>> the problem.
>>
>> Looks like Oleksandr meant Shift- rather than Ctrl-, because I do get
>> the "<select>  is undefined" message with Shift-Up. Same thing happens
>> in xterm, so I don't know what's up with that.
>
> OK, I can reproduce that too.  On the other hand, emacs running under X11
> does recognize Shift-Up.

Yet there's no obvious reason why this shouldn't work in xterm and
mintty. The Shift-Up keycode follows the same pattern as the ones for
the other Shift-Arrow combinations. This suggests a configuration
problem, or perhaps a terminfo issue. Unfortunately I don't know
enough about emacs to try to diagnose this.

Andy

* Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-04 19:40         ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-04 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andy Koppe wrote:

> Yet there's no obvious reason why this shouldn't work in xterm and
> mintty. The Shift-Up keycode follows the same pattern as the ones for
> the other Shift-Arrow combinations. This suggests a configuration
> problem, or perhaps a terminfo issue. Unfortunately I don't know
> enough about emacs to try to diagnose this.

See if it still happens when you start emacs with 'emacs -Q -q' (doesn't
load any config files). If it doesn't happen any more, it's an emacs
config issue and you go through a long process of excluding different
parts of your config until you find it :)

--
Gary
Non-kook (allegedly)

* Re: Some key binding in Emacs not properly work in mintty.
@ 2010-08-05  6:58           ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-08-05  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04.08.2010 22:38, Gary wrote:
> Andy Koppe wrote:
>
>> Yet there's no obvious reason why this shouldn't work in xterm and
>> mintty. The Shift-Up keycode follows the same pattern as the ones for
>> the other Shift-Arrow combinations. This suggests a configuration
>> problem, or perhaps a terminfo issue. Unfortunately I don't know
>> enough about emacs to try to diagnose this.
>
> See if it still happens when you start emacs with 'emacs -Q -q' (doesn't
> load any config files). If it doesn't happen any more, it's an emacs
> config issue and you go through a long process of excluding different
> parts of your config until you find it :)

When I report issue I already run Emacs with:

   $ emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file

So probably this is a

@ 2010-08-05  7:30             ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-05  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 04.08.2010 22:38, Gary wrote:
>> See if it still happens when you start emacs with 'emacs -Q -q'

> When I report issue I already run Emacs with:
>
>   $ emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file

Okay :) Sorry if you said that already, I missed the original report.

--
Gary
Non-kook (allegedly)

1.7.4(0.225/5/3) 2010-04-07 11:02 Cygwin