* Accessing SMB shares without explicit mounting
@ 2010-08-08  8:42 Phil Reynolds
From: Phil Reynolds @ 2010-08-08  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In order to cut down on the overall time my backups are taking, I am
thinking of running flexbackup under cygwin. However, I will want it
to write to a directory I have shared from my Linux box using samba,
without mounting it explicitly.

I understand that this at least ought to be possible using a UNC path
(//server/share) but all attempts to list the current content are
showing it to be empty. If I try to access a file I know to be there,
or to create a new one, I get "Permission denied". I can clearly see
that the shares are there, but cannot make any practical use of them.

I am therefore left in the position of having to seek advice on this.
The permissions do allow the shares to be mounted in Windows, but in
the case of this particular one, I am looking for it not to be mounted.

I am quite happy to post further details if needed.

Thanks,

Phil Reynolds.

* Re: Accessing SMB shares without explicit mounting
@ 2010-08-08 16:27 ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-08-08 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/08/2010 03:42 AM, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> In order to cut down on the overall time my backups are taking, I am
> thinking of running flexbackup under cygwin. However, I will want it to
> write to a directory I have shared from my Linux box using samba,
> without mounting it explicitly.
>
> I understand that this at least ought to be possible using a UNC path
> (//server/share) but all attempts to list the current content are
> showing it to be empty. If I try to access a file I know to be there, or
> to create a new one, I get "Permission denied". I can clearly see that
> the shares are there, but cannot make any practical use of them.
>
> I am therefore left in the position of having to seek advice on this.
> The permissions do allow the shares to be mounted in Windows, but in the
> case of this particular one, I am looking for it not to be mounted.

It sounds like your Samba configuration requires authentication in order
to access this share.  Are you able to access the share as
\\server\share using the Windows file explorer without first mapping the
share to a drive or authenticating in some other way?  Cygwin uses
Windows to handle this sort of operation, so if Windows can't access the
share without authentication, neither can Cygwin.

If authentication is required, you'll either need to map the share to a
drive letter or reconfigure your Samba share to allow guests to have
read and possibly write access depending on your needs.

-Jeremy

* Re: Accessing SMB shares without explicit mounting
@ 2010-08-08 19:41   ` Phil Reynolds
From: Phil Reynolds @ 2010-08-08 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bopp; +Cc: cygwin

Quoting "Jeremy Bopp" <jeremy@bopp.net>:

> It sounds like your Samba configuration requires authentication in order
> to access this share.  Are you able to access the share as
> \\server\share using the Windows file explorer without first mapping the
> share to a drive or authenticating in some other way?  Cygwin uses
> Windows to handle this sort of operation, so if Windows can't access the
> share without authentication, neither can Cygwin.
>
> If authentication is required, you'll either need to map the share to a
> drive letter or reconfigure your Samba share to allow guests to have
> read and possibly write access depending on your needs.

Thank you - this has pointed me in the right direction...

The main problem I've got now is how to allow write access to the
share from this scenario without allowing it from outside... but I am
working on that.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil@tinsleyviaduct.com

* Re: Accessing SMB shares without explicit mounting
@ 2010-08-08 20:27     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-08-08 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/08/2010 12:40 PM, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> Quoting "Jeremy Bopp" <jeremy@bopp.net>:
>
>> It sounds like your Samba configuration requires authentication in order
>> to access this share.  Are you able to access the share as
>> \\server\share using the Windows file explorer without first mapping the
>> share to a drive or authenticating in some other way?  Cygwin uses
>> Windows to handle this sort of operation, so if Windows can't access the
>> share without authentication, neither can Cygwin.
>>
>> If authentication is required, you'll either need to map the share to a
>> drive letter or reconfigure your Samba share to allow guests to have
>> read and possibly write access depending on your needs.
>
> Thank you - this has pointed me in the right direction...
>
> The main problem I've got now is how to allow write access to the
> share from this scenario without allowing it from outside... but I am
> working on that.

Might you be able to do something like:

To access the share supplying the username and password so that you can
then use the UNC path proper? For example:

Pluto:net use \\\\jupiter\\Video /user:<username> <password>
The command completed successfully.

Pluto:net use
New connections will not be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

OK                     \\jupiter\Video           Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Pluto:
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If an orange is orange, why isn't a lime called a green or a lemon