* nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  0:49 Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Executing scripts with DOS style pathnames causes the following error:
MS-DOS style path detected
CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
warning.
Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

Annoyingly, setting a local environment variable *doesn't* turn off this
warning, and possibly as a form of punishment to DOS users there is no
further information in the Help and FAQ. Apparently, setting a Windoze
System Environment Variable may solve the problem, but in any case this is
useless for anyone who wants to block the message for individual scripts, or
(like me) has a locked-down Windoze PC.

Here is the command line I'm running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login
C:\test\test.sh

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:11 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-10-13  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 05:49:31PM -0700, Autotoonz wrote:
>Executing scripts with DOS style pathnames causes the following error:
>MS-DOS style path detected
>CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>warning.
>Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
>Annoyingly, setting a local environment variable *doesn't* turn off
>this warning, and possibly as a form of punishment to DOS users there
>is no further information in the Help and FAQ.

It's best to eschew the annoyance and conspiracy theories if you don't
completely understand what's going on and actually want help.

>Here is the command line I'm running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login
>C:\test\test.sh

Something like this works fine:

c:\>bash
bash$ export CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
bash$ cat "c:\autoexec.bat"

and so does:

c:\>set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
c:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh

You may need to create a .bat file if you want to just do the latter.

cgf

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:20   ` Tim Daneliuk
From: Tim Daneliuk @ 2010-10-13  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 05:49:31PM -0700, Autotoonz wrote:
>> Executing scripts with DOS style pathnames causes the following error:
>> MS-DOS style path detected
>> CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>> warning.
>> Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>>
>> Annoyingly, setting a local environment variable *doesn't* turn off
>> this warning, and possibly as a form of punishment to DOS users there
>> is no further information in the Help and FAQ.
>
> It's best to eschew the annoyance and conspiracy theories if you don't
> completely understand what's going on and actually want help.
>
>> Here is the command line I'm running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login
>> C:\test\test.sh
>
> Something like this works fine:
>
> c:\>bash
> bash$ export CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
> bash$ cat "c:\autoexec.bat"
>
> and so does:
>
> c:\>set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
> c:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh
>
> You may need to create a .bat file if you want to just do the latter.
>
> cgf
>
> --

You can also permanently set this environment variable from Windows itself so
that all instantiations of cygwin environments - regardless of shell will see it.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:24   ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:

> It's best to eschew the annoyance and conspiracy theories if you don't
> completely understand what's going on and actually want help.

A fair comment, although I'm still puzzled as to how nobody can explain why
this fails

> Something like this works fine:
>
> c:\>bash
> bash$ export CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
> bash$ cat "c:\autoexec.bat"

Unfortunately we are using batch files to automate the running of scripts

> and so does:
>
> c:\>set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
> c:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh
>
> You may need to create a .bat file if you want to just do the latter.

As per my original post, this most definitely does *not* work. Have you
tried this yourself yet?

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:29     ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> You can also permanently set this environment variable from Windows itself
> so
> that all instantiations of cygwin environments - regardless of shell will
> see it.

No I can't, as stated in the OP.
Also, this is no use for surpressing the warning when running individual
scripts

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:41     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-10-13  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 06:24:43PM -0700, Autotoonz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>It's best to eschew the annoyance and conspiracy theories if you don't
>>completely understand what's going on and actually want help.
>
>A fair comment, although I'm still puzzled as to how nobody can explain
>why this fails

You haven't provided the exact steps to show what doesn't work.  This:

>>On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 05:49:31PM -0700, Autotoonz wrote:
>>>Here is the command line I'm running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login
>>>C:\test\test.sh

isn't much to go on.  If you just type if from the CMD prompt you get
the expected warning.  What, precisely, did you do which you expected
to work?  You need to show the exact steps to reproduce the problem.

>>c:\>set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
>>c:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh
>>
>>You may need to create a .bat file if you want to just do the latter.
>
>As per my original post, this most definitely does *not* work.  Have
>you tried this yourself yet?

Yes, I tried it.  I tried it from the CMD prompt (which is where I
tested this when I first implemented it) and I tried it from a .bat
file.  Both work as expected, i.e., no warning.

cgf

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:53     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-10-13  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/12/2010 09:24 PM, Autotoonz wrote:
> Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:
>> It's best to eschew the annoyance and conspiracy theories if you don't
>> completely understand what's going on and actually want help.
> A fair comment, although I'm still puzzled as to how nobody can explain why
> this fails
In order to do that we'd need to know exactly what you are doing.
Otherwise we're just guessing. You stated "Here is the command line I'm
running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh" but you didn't
allude to how exactly you are running this. If from Start: Run for
example, have you tried just running bash --login and then echo'ing out
the $CYGWIN environment variable? Have you tried reading up on what is a
local environment variable is, how it is set and how it is in effect
under Windows? Because it seems to me it's clear that bash doesn't see
$CYGWIN as having nodosfilewarning set into it. If it did it would work.
Also note that's a long value - are you sure you have typed it correctly
(Sorry I don't have access to Windows right now to check this).
>> Something like this works fine:
>>
>> c:\>bash
>> bash$ export CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
>> bash$ cat "c:\autoexec.bat"
>>
> Unfortunately we are using batch files to automate the running of scripts
Yes, right. Well stop that! :-)
>> and so does:
>>
>> c:\>set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
>> c:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh
>>
>> You may need to create a .bat file if you want to just do the latter.
>>
> As per my original post, this most definitely does *not* work. Have you
> tried this yourself yet?
Being as Chris is the project manager for Cygwin (and an all around nice
and competent guy) I can pretty much guarantee you that yes he did test
it. Wait... He just posted and yes he did do it. This leads me to ask -
did you try it? Exactly that, what Chris posted? And if you did and it
failed can you provide evidence?

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  1:59       ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:

> You haven't provided the exact steps to show what doesn't work.  This:

> isn't much to go on.  If you just type if from the CMD prompt you get
> the expected warning.  What, precisely, did you do which you expected
> to work?  You need to show the exact steps to reproduce the problem.
>
>>>c:\>set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
>>>c:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login C:\test\test.sh
>>>
>>>You may need to create a .bat file if you want to just do the latter.
>>
>>As per my original post, this most definitely does *not* work.  Have
>>you tried this yourself yet?
>
> Yes, I tried it.  I tried it from the CMD prompt (which is where I
> tested this when I first implemented it) and I tried it from a .bat
> file.  Both work as expected, i.e., no warning.

I just tried running the batch file directly (as a per the commands listed
above), and the warning is now suppressed. Because I was calling it from
another batch file, the env variable was of course lost.
So my mistake here, although this is an easy trap to fall into for the
unaware!
Thanks for your patience,
Cheers!

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  2:10       ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

defaria wrote:

> Being as Chris is the project manager for Cygwin (and an all around nice
> and competent guy) I can pretty much guarantee you that yes he did test
> it. Wait... He just posted and yes he did do it. This leads me to ask -
> did you try it? Exactly that, what Chris posted? And if you did and it
> failed can you provide evidence?

Yeah I did try it originally from batch files, but unfortunately I didn't
allow for my batch file calling another batch file and losing the
environment variable.
And because I'd read a previous post about this problem (with no solution),
I wrongly assumed that there was a bug in CYGWIN which nobody cares about.
Otherwise, I would not have jumped the gun here and suggested that it was
punishment to DOS users.
Besides, Windoze and DOS has plenty of punishment for users as it is! :D

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  2:29         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-10-13  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/12/2010 10:10 PM, Autotoonz wrote:
> defaria wrote:
>> Being as Chris is the project manager for Cygwin (and an all around nice
>> and competent guy) I can pretty much guarantee you that yes he did test
>> it. Wait... He just posted and yes he did do it. This leads me to ask -
>> did you try it? Exactly that, what Chris posted? And if you did and it
>> failed can you provide evidence?
> Yeah I did try it originally from batch files, but unfortunately I didn't
> allow for my batch file calling another batch file and losing the
> environment variable.
> And because I'd read a previous post about this problem (with no solution),
> I wrongly assumed that there was a bug in CYGWIN which nobody cares about.
> Otherwise, I would not have jumped the gun here and suggested that it was
> punishment to DOS users.
> Besides, Windoze and DOS has plenty of punishment for users as it is! :D
Ah. OK. Well don't forget: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BWAM

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  2:35       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2010-10-13  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Autotoonz, cygwin

Greetings, Autotoonz!

> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>>
>> You can also permanently set this environment variable from Windows itself
>> so
>> that all instantiations of cygwin environments - regardless of shell will
>> see it.
>>

> No I can't, as stated in the OP.

No, you DIDN'T. It's rather clear from your posts, as you showed no
diagnostics, only bare claims.

> Also, this is no use for surpressing the warning when running individual
> scripts

Which (this your reply) convincing me even further that you don't have a clue
in how environment variables works.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  5:30         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-10-13  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 06:31:22AM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>Which (this your reply) convincing me even further that you don't have a clue
>in how environment variables works.

Come on, there's no need to go so negative here.

cgf

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  5:37         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-10-13  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 06:59:26PM -0700, Autotoonz wrote:
>I just tried running the batch file directly (as a per the commands
>listed above), and the warning is now suppressed.  Because I was
>calling it from another batch file, the env variable was of course
>lost.  So my mistake here, although this is an easy trap to fall into
>for the unaware!

If you mean that batch file 1 sets the CYGWIN environment variable and
then directly runs batch file 2, then that works too.  That's how
environment variables work - once you set an environment variable it is
inherited by all subsequent processes unless the process goes out of its
way to reset it.

If you mean batch file 1 sets an environment variable and then, in
another window, you run batch file 2, then that will not have the
desired effect.

cgf

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  5:58           ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:

> If you mean that batch file 1 sets the CYGWIN environment variable and
> then directly runs batch file 2, then that works too.  That's how
> environment variables work - once you set an environment variable it is
> inherited by all subsequent processes unless the process goes out of its
> way to reset it.

Yeah that's what I meant - batch file 1 sets env variable and then calls
batch file 2.
And you are correct - env variables set in the parent DOS process are
inherited by child DOS processes.
So now I'm stumped as to what caused my original problem, because I spent
about one hour checking and re-checking that my DOS set command was correct
(ie: set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning) and then googling for clues.
Unfortunately I cannot repeat the fault, so I'm going to have to put this
down to a typo on my part. If I hadn't found the original unsolved problem
posted on this forum then I guess that I would have isolated what caused
this instead of assuming that there was a bug.
Thanks for your help Chris,
cheers.

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  7:02             ` Lee D. Rothstein
From: Lee D. Rothstein @ 2010-10-13  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin, eMail List

  On 10/13/2010 1:58 AM, Autotoonz wrote:
> Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:
>> If you mean that batch file 1 sets the CYGWIN environment variable and
>> then directly runs batch file 2, then that works too.  That's how
>> environment variables work - once you set an environment variable it is
>> inherited by all subsequent processes unless the process goes out of its
>> way to reset it.
> Yeah that's what I meant - batch file 1 sets env variable and then calls
> batch file 2.
> And you are correct - env variables set in the parent DOS process are
> inherited by child DOS processes.
> So now I'm stumped as to what caused my original problem, because I spent
> about one hour checking and re-checking that my DOS set command was correct
> (ie: set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning) and then googling for clues.
> Unfortunately I cannot repeat the fault, so I'm going to have to put this
> down to a typo on my part. If I hadn't found the original unsolved problem
> posted on this forum then I guess that I would have isolated what caused
> this instead of assuming that there was a bug.
> Thanks for your help Chris,
> cheers.

DOS 'setx' in batch file "A" will affect all subsequently invoked batch
files from outside "A".
Is this what you did? 'setx' can also be invoked from shell scripts but
still only impacts
subsequently invoked shells. In both cases, the results obtain even
after reboot.

The GUI way to invoke these "environmental variables is:

Control Panel (Classic View) / System / Advanced Systems Settings /
Environment Variables / ...

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13  7:14               ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-13  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:

> DOS 'setx' in batch file "A" will affect all subsequently invoked batch
> files from outside "A".
> Is this what you did?

No. I used the DOS set command, as discussed. This probably failed due to a
typo on my part, but I'm uncertain.

> 'setx' can also be invoked from shell scripts but
> still only impacts
> subsequently invoked shells. In both cases, the results obtain even
> after reboot.

Thankyou for this info. Setx will be useful for me in the future because our
Windows PCs are locked down, and I cannot modify any Windows System
variables via the GUI.

> The GUI way to invoke these "environmental variables is:
>
> Control Panel (Classic View) / System / Advanced Systems Settings /
> Environment Variables / ...

As discussed, I'm unable to modify env variables this way because Windows
has been locked down.
I will be using the set command instead to suppress the warning on
individual scripts. This now appears to work correctly with CYGWIN, so my
problem seems to have been solved.
Cheers

* Re: nodosfilewarning not working
@ 2010-10-13 14:50                 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2010-10-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Autotoonz, cygwin

Greetings, Autotoonz!

>> 'setx' can also be invoked from shell scripts but
>> still only impacts
>> subsequently invoked shells. In both cases, the results obtain even
>> after reboot.
>>

> Thankyou for this info. Setx will be useful for me in the future because our
> Windows PCs are locked down, and I cannot modify any Windows System
> variables via the GUI.

You should be able to modify USER variables. Even if both System control panel
applet and regedit.exe are blocked, there's tons of ways to deal with registry
directly, down to writing your own little program in any language you familiar
with (almost any compiler with visual IDE coming with an example of dealing
with windows registry).
The path you're looking for is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

That, however, provided your user profiles are persistent.

--

@ 2010-10-14  1:45                   ` Autotoonz
From: Autotoonz @ 2010-10-14  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin-3 wrote:

> You should be able to modify USER variables. Even if both System control
> panel
> applet and regedit.exe are blocked, there's tons of ways to deal with
> registry
> directly, down to writing your own little program in any language you
> familiar
> with (almost any compiler with visual IDE coming with an example of
> dealing
> with windows registry).
> The path you're looking for is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
>
> That, however, provided your user profiles are persistent.

Yeah the system env variables are persistent in my profile, so I'll be using
sext to modify them from now on. I don't need to write my own utility right
now, but thanks for the pointer.