* svn
@ 2011-02-10 15:45 Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Not sure if this is a Cygwin-svn problem or just a svn-is-just-f*cked-up
problem.

I use the Cygwin command line interface - svn, version 1.6.15 (r1038135)
compiled Nov 29 2010, 14:09:28 - and was having problems compiling a
modified, checked out project, against some dlls also kept in the
repo. No matter what, VC# was unable to build a release version, and the
debug versions it built seemed to be "somewhat flaky".

Today I installed and used TortoiseSVN (*spit*) Version 1.6.12, checked
out the project, and was able to build painlessly.

So, is this just Subversion and it's normal version incompatibility
crap, or some problem with the Cygwin build, does anyone know?

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-10 15:50 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2011 10:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> Not sure if this is a Cygwin-svn problem or just a svn-is-just-f*cked-up
> problem.
>
> I use the Cygwin command line interface - svn, version 1.6.15 (r1038135)
> compiled Nov 29 2010, 14:09:28 - and was having problems compiling a
> modified, checked out project, against some dlls also kept in the
> repo. No matter what, VC# was unable to build a release version, and the
> debug versions it built seemed to be "somewhat flaky".
>
> Today I installed and used TortoiseSVN (*spit*) Version 1.6.12, checked
> out the project, and was able to build painlessly.
>
> So, is this just Subversion and it's normal version incompatibility
> crap, or some problem with the Cygwin build, does anyone know?

No particular idea, but I wonder if it has to do with
(a) what svn believes to be a text, as opposed to binary, file;
(b) how you have cygwin set to treat text files; and
(c) what line terminator, etc., VC# wants to see.

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-10 20:03   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-10 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss wrote:

> I wonder if it has to do with
> (a) what svn believes to be a text, as opposed to binary, file;

Possibly. But... I shouldn't have to configure that for my svn client,
should I? Isn't that supposed to be done on the repo end?

> (b) how you have cygwin set to treat text files; and

Not sure what you mean here. You mean the mount options? Not sure what
they are, I'm on a different computer right now.

> (c) what line terminator, etc., VC# wants to see.

Hmm. Well, I would hope that "svn co <URL> ." just gets whatever happens
to be in the repo - LF, CRLF, whatever - and doesn't feck with them just
because they are not the line endings some program someone might want to
sometime use, expects. Is that not the case?

I should probably mention that I've been happily using the same Cygwin
svn for about a year (including some binary files such as images) and
never had a problem. Only now, with this stupid new project/repository.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-10 20:54     ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-02-10 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2011 12:03 PM, Gary wrote:
> Hmm. Well, I would hope that "svn co <URL> ." just gets whatever happens
> to be in the repo - LF, CRLF, whatever - and doesn't feck with them just
> because they are not the line endings some program someone might want to
> sometime use, expects. Is that not the case?

I think this depends on the svn:eol-style property for the file[1].

I would diff the TortoiseSVN checkout and the Cygwin client's
checkout. Maybe that will show you what's different and help us
understand why.

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.file-portability.html

Volunteer Cygwin Subversion maintainer.

On a clear disk you can seek forever.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11  2:15     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-11  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2011 3:03 PM, Gary wrote:
> Eliot Moss wrote:
>
>> I wonder if it has to do with
>> (a) what svn believes to be a text, as opposed to binary, file;
>
> Possibly. But... I shouldn't have to configure that for my svn client,
> should I? Isn't that supposed to be done on the repo end?

Yes and no.  The /subversion/config file is per-client and controls
a number of things, notably what sorts of files are treated as
binary and the eol (end of line) properties of text files.

>> (b) how you have cygwin set to treat text files; and
>
> Not sure what you mean here. You mean the mount options? Not sure what
> they are, I'm on a different computer right now.

Yes, I think so, but there is a place where, when you set up cygwin,
you indicate a preference for Windows or Linux line endings. That is
what I am talking about.  And if you set it for Linux (say) and Windows
tools don't like that (or vice versa) then you can have problems.

>> (c) what line terminator, etc., VC# wants to see.
>
> Hmm. Well, I would hope that "svn co<URL>  ." just gets whatever happens
> to be in the repo - LF, CRLF, whatever - and doesn't feck with them just
> because they are not the line endings some program someone might want to
> sometime use, expects. Is that not the case?

Ummm, no. The svn:eol-style property controls how line endings get
translated between the internal store and representation when checked
out.  This makes sense if you want the same sources to work on Mac OS,
Unix, and Windows, transparently ... the external and internal forms
cannot always match byte-for-byte.

> I should probably mention that I've been happily using the same Cygwin
> svn for about a year (including some binary files such as images) and
> never had a problem. Only now, with this stupid new project/repository.

Well, I hope you are starting to understand the eol representation issue
to which I am pointing.  I can't say if that's what's biting you, but
if someone set up a repo without doing that well, and you try building
on a platform that wants different line endings, your tools might well
complain or produce results different from what you want ...

Best wishes -- EM

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11  4:20       ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-02-11  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2011 9:15 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 2/10/2011 3:03 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Not sure what you mean here. You mean the mount options? Not sure what
>> they are, I'm on a different computer right now.
>
> Yes, I think so, but there is a place where, when you set up cygwin,
> you indicate a preference for Windows or Linux line endings.

'setup.exe' no longer has this option, if that's what you mean.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11  4:21         ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-11  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/10/2011 11:20 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 2/10/2011 9:15 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 2/10/2011 3:03 PM, Gary wrote:
>>> Not sure what you mean here. You mean the mount options? Not sure what
>>> they are, I'm on a different computer right now.
>>
>> Yes, I think so, but there is a place where, when you set up cygwin,
>> you indicate a preference for Windows or Linux line endings.
>
> 'setup.exe' no longer has this option, if that's what you mean.

I think that's what I meant; sorry to be behind the times :-) ...

Best wishes -- EM

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11  7:24           ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-11  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 11:20 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> Yes, I think so, but there is a place where, when you set up cygwin,
>>> you indicate a preference for Windows or Linux line endings.
>>
>> 'setup.exe' no longer has this option, if that's what you mean.
>
> I think that's what I meant; sorry to be behind the times :-) ...

Sokay. When I installed, it was still like that :)

All the mounts are bin.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11  8:09       ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-11  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Rothenberger wrote:

> I would diff the TortoiseSVN checkout and the Cygwin client's
> checkout. Maybe that will show you what's different and help us
> understand why.

Well I did, and assuming I used the correct command, the differences are
only to be found in the .svn/entries files:
,----
| diff -u -r cyg-svn//.svn/entries win-svn//.svn/entries
| --- cyg-svn//.svn/entries       2011-02-11 08:26:46.893375000 +0100
| +++ win-svn//.svn/entries       2011-02-11 08:27:15.222587800 +0100
| @@ -41,7 +41,7 @@
|

| -2011-02-11T07:26:46.862123Z
| +2011-02-11T07:27:15.206962Z
|  2fddb2c7a0b66adfc719afc83fdc15b4
|  2011-01-26T15:44:20.591149Z
|  2
| @@ -87,7 +87,7 @@
|

| -2011-02-11T07:26:46.877749Z
| +2011-02-11T07:27:15.206962Z
|  1d3dcb23b1355c20f7ffb05cfab38aad
|  2011-01-26T15:44:20.591149Z
|  2
| diff -u -r cyg-svn//FOOAssembliesEventIS/.svn/entries win-svn//FOOAssembliesEventIS/.svn/entries
| --- cyg-svn//FOOAssembliesEventIS/.svn/entries  2011-02-11
| 08:26:32.408443800 +0100
| +++ win-svn//FOOAssembliesEventIS/.svn/entries  2011-02-11
| 08:27:04.472175000 +0100
| @@ -41,7 +41,7 @@
|

| -2011-02-11T07:26:32.392818Z
| +2011-02-11T07:27:04.456549Z
|  cc5993c591785f803dcf741369f23e4f
|  2011-01-26T15:44:20.591149Z
|  2
| @@ -78,7 +78,7 @@
|

| -2011-02-11T07:26:32.392818Z
| +2011-02-11T07:27:04.456549Z
|  2820e0bf078cbf31afd3b5fb5420b3fd
|  2011-01-26T15:44:20.591149Z
(and so on, rest snipped for brevity)
`----

I don't see how any differences in those files could cause build problems.

> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.file-portability.html

I have nothing at all set in [auto-props] in ~/.subversion/config.

If I diff the svn properties I get:
,----
| $ diff -u <(svn proplist -R cyg-svn) <(svn proplist -R win-svn)
| --- /dev/fd/63	2011-02-11 09:02:09.000000000 +0100
| +++ /dev/fd/62	2011-02-11 09:02:09.000000000 +0100
| @@ -1,150 +1,150 @@
| -Properties on 'cyg-svn/FOOAssembliesEventIS/DLL/FoobarObjectsCustomer.dll':
| +Properties on 'win-svn/FOOAssembliesEventIS/DLL/FoobarObjectsCustomer.dll':
|    svn:mime-type
| -Properties on 'cyg-svn/FOOAssembliesEventIS/DLL/FoobarAssembly.dll':
| +Properties on 'win-svn/FOOAssembliesEventIS/DLL/FoobarAssembly.dll':
|    svn:mime-type
| -Properties on 'cyg-svn/FOOAssembliesEventIS/DLL/FoobarObjectsEquipment.dll':
| +Properties on 'win-svn/FOOAssembliesEventIS/DLL/FoobarObjectsEquipment.dll':
|    svn:mime-type
(and so on, rest snipped for brevity)
`----
which I also don't see as significant (well, yeah, the paths are
different. duh!).

The dlls have the mime-type property "application/octet-stream", btw,
which from what I've read is what is expected.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11 12:01         ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So may you *should* have some auto-props, such as
svn:mime-type application/octet-stream on dll files.
If that is not set, it is possible that dlls will be
treated in some funky way and thus when checked out
again may not be byte-for-byte what you expect. I'm
not sure, but I have a number of auto-props and my
setup works pretty well for me ...

Regards -- EM

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-11 16:28         ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-02-11 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/11/2011 12:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>
>> I would diff the TortoiseSVN checkout and the Cygwin client's
>> checkout. Maybe that will show you what's different and help us
>> understand why.
>
> Well I did, and assuming I used the correct command, the differences are
> only to be found in the .svn/entries files:

I would have excluded the .svn directories from the comparison myself.
If the files checked out in both directories are byte-for-byte identical
(including binary files), I can't see how svn could be the culprit.

Unless perhaps the permissions on some of the DLLs are different. It
might be worth using cacls to inspect the ACLs on some of the DLLs.

Brain damage is all in your head.
                -- Karl Lehenbauer

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14  8:12           ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-14  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Rothenberger wrote:
> If the files checked out in both directories are byte-for-byte identical
> (including binary files), I can't see how svn could be the culprit.

If I can replace svn in the sequence with something else, for example
tortoise, and everything then works, then Cygwin/svn *is* the culprit.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14 12:01             ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-14 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2011 3:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>> If the files checked out in both directories are byte-for-byte identical
>> (including binary files), I can't see how svn could be the culprit.
>
> If I can replace svn in the sequence with something else, for example
> tortoise, and everything then works, then Cygwin/svn *is* the culprit.

Not necessarily ... it could be the underlying ssh, if you are using
svn over ssh, and it could be BLODA interfering with cygwin ...

Best wishes -- Eliot Moss

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14 12:25               ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 2/14/2011 3:11 AM, Gary wrote:
>> David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> If the files checked out in both directories are byte-for-byte
> identical
>>> (including binary files), I can't see how svn could be the culprit.
>>
>> If I can replace svn in the sequence with something else, for example
>> tortoise, and everything then works, then Cygwin/svn *is* the culprit.
>
> Not necessarily ... it could be the underlying ssh, if you are using
> svn over ssh, and it could be BLODA interfering with cygwin ...

And yet not doing it with another client? It's not really very likely,
is it?

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14 14:37                 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-14 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2011 7:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> Eliot Moss wrote:
>> identical
>>>
>>> If I can replace svn in the sequence with something else, for example
>>> tortoise, and everything then works, then Cygwin/svn *is* the culprit.
>>
>> Not necessarily ... it could be the underlying ssh, if you are using
>> svn over ssh, and it could be BLODA interfering with cygwin ...
>
> And yet not doing it with another client? It's not really very likely,
> is it?

In the fall of 2009 I was having a problem with rsync over ssh.
Corinna and I got to the bottom of it: BLODA interfering with
proper operation of socketpair. In the process, I found that if
I disabled socketpair manually in the output of /.configure for
building rsync, forcing it to use pipes instead, it worked fine.

We have had occasional but persistent queries here about git
over ssh, and you are reporting issues with svn and ssh. I am
wondering if it has something to do with the sockets/pipes
used to communicate between svn or git and the ssh subprocess.

Best wishes -- EM

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14 14:44                   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-14 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss wrote:
> We have had occasional but persistent queries here about git
> over ssh, and you are reporting issues with svn and ssh.

I've never mentioned ssh in this context.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14 16:18                     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-02-14 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2011 9:43 AM, Gary wrote:
> Eliot Moss wrote:
>> We have had occasional but persistent queries here about git
>> over ssh, and you are reporting issues with svn and ssh.
>
> I've never mentioned ssh in this context.

Ah, sorry, then. I thought perhaps it was svn+ssh that
was giving you trouble. Must be something else ...

Best wishes -- Eliot

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-14 17:33             ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-02-14 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2011 12:11 AM, Gary wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>> If the files checked out in both directories are byte-for-byte identical
>> (including binary files), I can't see how svn could be the culprit.
>
> If I can replace svn in the sequence with something else, for example
> tortoise, and everything then works, then Cygwin/svn *is* the culprit.

If the bits are identical, then what else could be breaking your build?
Perhaps the permissions on files, as I suggested in the same email you
partially quoted above?

I'm sorry, but I don't have anything else to offer here. You'll have to
do some more investigation on your own about why the build is failing
with the code checked out from Cygwin's svn.

@ 2011-02-15 11:09               ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-15 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You said:

> [if bytes identiocal] I can't see how svn could be the culprit.
>
> Unless perhaps the permissions on some of the DLLs are different. It
> might be worth using cacls to inspect the ACLs on some of the DLLs.

I could't comment on that, because I hadn't had time to try it out. They
are different - the files checked out with Tortoise correctly (I guess)
have the various EXECUTE flags set, those with Cygwin's svn do not.

* Re: svn
@ 2011-02-15 16:16                 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2011-02-15 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/15/2011 3:09 AM, Gary wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>> On 2/14/2011 12:11 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>>> If I can replace svn in the sequence with something else, for example
>>> tortoise, and everything then works, then Cygwin/svn *is* the culprit.
>>
>> If the bits are identical, then what else could be breaking your build?
>> Perhaps the permissions on files, as I suggested in the same email you
>> partially quoted above?
>
> You said:
>
>> [if bytes identiocal] I can't see how svn could be the culprit.
>>
>> Unless perhaps the permissions on some of the DLLs are different. It
>> might be worth using cacls to inspect the ACLs on some of the DLLs.
>
> I could't comment on that, because I hadn't had time to try it out. They
> are different - the files checked out with Tortoise correctly (I guess)
> have the various EXECUTE flags set, those with Cygwin's svn do not.

If those files have the svn:executable property set, then it's a bug in
Cygwin's svn. Otherwise, you just need to set that property on the DLLs.
Maybe TortoiseSVN does some special handling for DLLs.

The Public is merely a multiplied "me."
                -- Mark Twain