* core dump using Make 3.81
@ 2011-02-16  9:30 Mathias Bauer
From: Mathias Bauer @ 2011-02-16  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm working on OpenOffice.org and we are currently reworking our build
system. Our current combo of dmake and some home made perl scripts shall
be replaced by GNU Make and a few awk scripts.

We finished our work for building C++/C/Objective-C code and now use
this on Windows, Linux, Solaris, MacOSX, FreeBSD in some of our modules
where new make files already have been written. On Windows we have a
mingw port and a cygwin port.

On all platforms we are using GNU Make 3.81. It works fine in most
cases, but on cygwin we got some crashes when building in parallel with
-j. The reason is

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?20033

This bug was fixed already in upstream GNU Make and the fix was
integrated into the 3.82 release. As we never got one of these crashes
on Linux, it seems that the Linux distros have integrated this patch
into their 3.81 releases. An upgrade to 3.82 would fix that for cygwin
also. As I understood from reading here, there are plans to update the
cygwin Make package to 3.82.

So far, so good.

But when we tried to use a 3.82 version we built from the official
source package ourselves, we found a serious performance problem in this
version. This problem is in the cygwin version only, not in the Linux
version. As an example, we have a module where checking dependencies
with 3.81 takes approximately 5 seconds on cygwin (less than 2 seconds
on Linux BTW), with 3.82 it took 1:30 minutes. So I'm afraid that
waiting for 3.82 won't be an option for us.

For future plans it would be interesting for us to know if a patch we
provided to fix that performance issue (so far we don't have this patch)
would have a chance to get integrated into the official cygwin package.
If not, we have to build our own make.exe anyway and probably would
stick with a patched 3.81.

Best regards,
Mathias

* Re: core dump using Make 3.81
@ 2011-09-12 17:36 Aaron Watry
From: Aaron Watry @ 2011-09-12 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,

Matthias Bauer had reported an error in the OpenOffice.org build using
Make 3.81 back in February [1].  I'm writing today to mention that I
ran into what I believe to be the same issue when working on another
project.  I'm working on an OpenCL program that is being built under
Cygwin in Windows. Make 3.81 crashes every time that I try to use it
to build my program:

/bin/sh: line 1:   232 Aborted                (core dumped)
/usr/bin/make --no-print-directory target=$t
make: *** [.DEFAULT] Error 134

I downloaded the source for Make 3.82 from gnu.org, installed it to
/usr/local/bin, and the crash goes away as Matthias also reported for
OO.o.  Is there any reason to not bump cygwin up to the latest
upstream release?

Thanks,
Aaron Watry

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00398.html

System:
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
Radeon 6850
Freshly updated Cygwin with make 3.81-2

Project:
http://github.com/awatry/libvpx.opencl

Reproduction:
I'm assuming you've got Windows on C:\, and "Program Files" is also on
C:\. If not, change step 2, and also change the line with cygdrive in
build/make/configure.sh.

1) You'll need to have AMD's APP SDK installed (OpenCL library for
Radeons and x86 CPUs). I haven't tested with Nvidia/others.
2) export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32; export
C_INCLUDE_PATH=/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/AMD\ APP/include
3) Clone the project listed above using git
4) cd libvpx.opencl && ./configure --enable-opencl
5) make
6) *crash*